Quantcast
  • Join the TowForce community.

It looks like you're not logged in. Register to get started and to receive Tower Down Notices.

Ramsey 234 Hydraulic Winch Looses Lock

H20ham

Good day

My 2010 612, or so Ramsey 234 Hydraulic Winch engages, and normally under load. Releases.

If I hold the handle it helps, until the other day.

Now it wont stay locked in at all, well- it will spool in. As long as there is no weight on it.

Part #4 in diagram shows lock/engagement selector. Clutch I suspect is the culprit as the selector arm moves the drum in and out, as viewed through inspection hole.

Anyone think anything else?

Kind Regards 

Jim 

More than likley, The clutch jaw,pin and groove are full of crud and gunk. Do you service the winch regularly? If you dont then there is also a pretty good chance the case seal has been leaking and it has run dry on oil. Alot of times they leak so slightly over time that you may not even notice it unless your like me and a stiffler for pressure washing and cleaning everything pretty regularly. 

If it has run dry for an extended period of time then it is probably best to rebuild the winch. You might get away with just a real good cleaning by running the winch with kerosine in the crank case then draining it and refilling it with the proper grade oil. ( after finding and repairing the leak of course.) But I dont know if I would trust it anymore. If I were you I would rebuild it of replace it. 

PROFESSIONAL TOWING & RECOVERY IS NOT JUST A JOB.. IT IS A LIFESTYLE

Seems the angle is steep. For sure the clutch wears faster and more easily than the drum.

The drums are not replaceable.

truily, the new clutch does not sit flush to the drum surface. About a 1/8 inch gap. Probably normal, and the clutch has good wear to the mating surface. Also, the curved edge has rounded shoulders as opposed to the new square shoulder.

Does the drum look worn?

Kind Regards 

Jim

The drums will naturally take some wear over time but I personally never seen one so worn out that it was not usable. Now that doesnt mean it cant happen, but just I have never seen one. If memory serves right, I believe there was a end gap between the clutch and drum face. ( it has been awile since i have rebuilt one ). After it is all back together, be sure to check and adjust your handle linkage so there is a bit of slack in it and it is not either putting tension OR pushing in on the clutch pin when engaged. As long as it is "relaxed" while engaged, it will keep the jaw and pin from wearing excessively.

PROFESSIONAL TOWING & RECOVERY IS NOT JUST A JOB.. IT IS A LIFESTYLE