Quantcast
  • Join the TowForce community.

It looks like you're not logged in. Register to get started and to receive Tower Down Notices.

Re: Accidents or Repeated Mistakes?

rreschran

In past years I’ve been an invited guest speaker at CHP/FSP quarterly training in San Diego and Orange County FPS commands. At American Towman shows in all locations, and, for tow companies on CHP rotation throughout the state, I’ve made PowerPoint presentations covering the reasons why its safer working the non-traffic side. The presentation is entitled, “Accidents or Repeated Mistakes”, based on the always present dangers that exist for operators serving highway environments. It’s based on lessons learn over years and years of REPEATED mistakes made by tow operators.

The motoring public has their hand of responsibility in staying out of emergency shoulders, but towers have got to learn, practice and adjust to those deadly sins of white-line safety. In a nutshell, and in no particular order, my safety presentation suggests these (repeatable) reminders regarding shoulder protocol:   

1. All operators serving the highway must be fully trained (TIM) ... don't send the new guys
  2. Prepare the tow truck before responding on the highway
  3. Avoid having to free-spool cable
  4. Wear an ANSI approved vest
  5. Be aware of approaching traffic at all times
  6. Know your escape route
  7. Whenever possible, remain away from white-line traffic
  8. Operate controls from the non-traffic side
  9. Stay-out of live traffic lanes
  10. Don't stand in the Pinch Zone
  11. Employ cones, flares or triangles
  12. Use overhead emergency lighting to announce SDMO; not just four-way flashers
  13. Stay out of the shadows working in the shade
  14. Load and go - don’t conduct service calls
  15. Exit cab when safe using, “Peek a Boo”, re-entry technique

While each of these has a special reasoning, not all towers are aware nor do they use these techniques. And, these recommendations are specific to all classes of towing operations. I’m hoping that this latest operator fatality will ignite re-training for all towers including the company’s most experienced operator. Feel free to use them as discussion points at your next safety meeting. If you have additional suggestions or techniques, your comments are welcome as to what training you present that’s specific to your area(s) of service?      R.

Randall C. Resch

• 6 months later...
On 6/26/2020 at 2:02 PM, rreschran said:
  • Use overhead emergency lighting to announce SDMO; not just four-way flashers
  •  

Randall I am sure you are aware in the FSP policies it specifically prohibits the use of emergency lighting on the shoulder.   They say it actually attracts drunk drivers to the lights and slows down traffic (something the FSP program is trying to prevent) 

And on a related note how would you suggest using cones when parked on the shoulder providing a service (because FSP is also required to provide the service roadside)  Just a straight line across the shoulder about 100 feet back? Or a taper in the shoulder? Maybe one or two on the white line to give folks a hint to move over?  Never seen any direction on that situation. 

Edited by Steve W
changed word.

Steve W.

Los Angeles, CA

FSP Operator

2 hours ago, Steve W said:

Randall I am sure you are aware in the FSP policies it specifically prohibits the use of emergency lighting on the shoulder.

I wish more manufacturers would use dimmable light bars with a photo cell, or even the new DVI patterns or "flicker cruise" patterns at night to be less distracting. 95% of these trucks are very dazzling or have no lighting at all. I know on our new trucks our light bars have a ton of these features but our dealer doesn't wire them in for whatever reason.

LTWBBgK.png.3c1bc13c6e723ef939e6d78eb910f400.png

12 hours ago, Steve W said:

And on a related note how would you suggest using cones when parked on the shoulder providing a service (because FSP is also required to provide the service roadside)  Just a straight line across the shoulder about 100 feet back? Or a taper in the shoulder? Maybe one or two on the white line to give folks a hint to move over?  Never seen any direction on that situation. 

There is actually an approved pattern for setting up cones based on the roads posted speed, number of lanes etc.  I believe it is in the FSMC book. 

A good friend will bail you out of jail, but a great friend will ...

6 hours ago, Stubborn66 said:

There is actually an approved pattern for setting up cones based on the roads posted speed, number of lanes etc.  I believe it is in the FSMC book. 

But we are talking about shoulder work here.  Not blocking a lane.  Should I just treat the shoulder as a lane and set it up according to the standard?

Steve W.

Los Angeles, CA

FSP Operator