Jump to content
  • Join the TowForce community.

    It looks like you're not logged in. Register to get started and to receive Tower Down Notices.

help with vintage tow truck build idea and driving on the road

Recommended Posts

so i have a vintage 1980 k30 4x4 gm truck . the box is showing bad age and the rest is real good yet .


i then have a real nice vintage holmes 480 split boom unit with bed and sling . i was thinking make a vintage tow truck from it and swap the rear to a DRW axle i have and the front to some DRW hubs i have .


my question is for new york state plates . if i am NOT towing to make money and its just a old tow truck do i need to tow truck specific insurance and plates ? i dont drive far and know lots of the cops from my years when i towed for a job . but i never looked in to the plates and insurance side like this .


anyone got good real world feedback for new york state stuff ?

Edited by sweetk30

ex-tow truck operator . ex- auto mechanic . just a nice guy trying to make a living and enjoy life .

1987 k30 chevy 1ton 4x4 built from scratch truck as my daily driver - work truck .

Link to comment
Share on other sites

As long as you are not using the truck "for hire" meaning your not towing any customers vehicles with it then you can register and insure it with commercial plates. You will have to have "Not for hire" lettered on both sides of the truck as well. Now another way you could go is to register and insure it as "historical" being that it is over 20 years old but the downside to that is you wouldnt be able to tow ANYTHING with it and most classical insurance carriers ( like Haggerty ) although very cheap, might put a cap on the amount of miles you can drive it yearly. with commercial plates you would be able to drag your own stuff around with it. Now also be mindful of the fact that when you go to register the truck, if you tell them that you modified it to make a tow truck then they will more than likely make you go through a state inspection at the dmv like you would with a vehicle you would be trying to get a salvage title for. ( not your typical safety/emissions inspection, It is a GIANT pain in the A$$ ) If you plan on just running it for the coolness factor ( and it would be awesome ) and not towing anything with it, then just register it as the original VIN# / pickup truck with commercial plates. 

  • Thanks 1


Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Unfortunately, your content contains terms that we do not allow. Please edit your content to remove the highlighted words below.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Create New...
Please Sign In or Sign Up