Quantcast
  • Join the TowForce community.

It looks like you're not logged in. Register to get started and to receive Tower Down Notices.

Holmes model identification

Boosttow

I have a new to me wrecker with an older chain driven twin spook and hydraulic cylinders. The boom does not telescope which seems to be really rare.

The wheel lift is a 3 stage that appears to be pretty heavy duty. I need some parts and cannot figure out a model and year range of my setup. ANY help would be appreciated.

553F9D02-E1A2-4B0F-836C-E43CEF4349EA.jpeg

0ED8262F-F006-4ADD-B140-A200B45C9930.png

CE0336D8-FE78-4973-9C3C-4381E9C2B2A7.jpeg

B69B0BB7-F2F4-43A5-9532-6CB9AFE699E1.jpeg

Todd Peterson said:

Looks home built with Holmes 600 winches and a early formula 3 underlift

Michael Myers said:

Could be a Spenco? With a Holmes MD10 or early model Century F-III under lift.

@michael212

Mike Whitaker said:

blue steel still sells those lifts;

Resource for these replies: Vintage Holmes Wrecker Group

If that is the truck I think it is, it was at towing company near me several years ago. It is a Holmes 600 winches and gear box with a homemade boom and add on Holmes or Century wheel lift. When I looked at it, it did not have a counter balance valve for the boom lift cylinders and the boom could be lowered without the PTO engaged. It was just gravity down. It also had 2 PTOs, 1 for the boom and wheel and 1 for the winches.

Sounds like you’ve used it before?? Seems to be a pretty nice truck. 

Ripped the truck apart to do some upkeep. One boom cylinder is getting repacked, new sides for the bed, new updated rear differential/brakes/ratio, rebuilt wheel lift, new paint, polished aluminum wheels, etc.

I haven't used the truck yet so to the major hydraulic leak. What doesn’t have a counter balance valve? Did it not work as it should? I could always add to the update list!