Quantcast
  • Join the TowForce community.

It looks like you're not logged in. Register to get started and to receive Tower Down Notices.

Negotiating Traffic can be a Challenge

This video is presented for discussion into methods used to negotiate traffic when responding to a Breakdown or Accident Scene. As well as the level of urgency of an accident with multiple lanes blocked compared to slowed traffic.

Note: there maybe an underlying reason the horn was used in this manner. I will add that information as the discussion progresses along with my own responses to the orginal post found on FB.

• 2 weeks later...

Negotiating traffic has been on my radar for some time. In most jurisdictions we don't have the necessary authority, training, or equipment, and to some degree self-control to move traffic.

I'd like to see that change in the coming years through the Time Task Force program. 

I'm concerned that most tow operators have a frustration level that increases as a result of those three things. We tend to loose focus on safety as the seconds tick by. 

As for the horn, use what you have if nothing else works.

I've always told myself to get there when I can, because if we, as towers refrain from bullying traffic then maybe, just maybe one day some TIM authority will say to themselves, "We need to get these guys here quicker and safer."

Remember, too that in a lot of cases like the one here, any other first responder will have just as much trouble moving traffic to get by a dumbass commuter.

Thoughts and opinions are my own and do not reflect the company I represent.

Jeff Payne - Operator Services & Fleet Services Administrator

Statewide Wrecker Service, Inc - 263 Luxomni Road - Lilburn, GA 30047

SWS Logo 2015.JPG