Quantcast
  • Join the TowForce community.

It looks like you're not logged in. Register to get started and to receive Tower Down Notices.

Window Tint

Tow411

Topic Originally Created on Tow411 by nousdef in July of 2007:

Do your trucks have window tint?? What about the laws in your state??

Temple Towing Said:

Most of our trucks have tint on the windows. The only law I know of is NO limo tint.
Matt Jarma
www.templetowing.com

DrHook541 said:

Same laws apply to trucks and cars here ... no tint forward of the B-pillar (or driver's shoulder) unless it is OEM tinted glass. I have my back glass tinted.
sigdrhook541.gif
C'ya in the ditch. 5f925fa45a514de48521c734bb39c92a040ff1b.png

Haliewa said:
Here is Hawaii's and the corresponding Federal (I don't understand either):
§291-21.5 Regulation of motor vehicle sun screening devices; penalty. (a) No person shall operate, permit the operation of, cause to be operated, or park any motor vehicle on a public highway if the glazing material of the motor vehicle: (1) Does not meet the requirements of the Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standards 205** in effect at the time of its manufacture; or

(2) Is used in conjunction with sun screening devices not exempted from this section by subsection (d) hereof.

(b) No person shall install, mount, adhere, affix, or use any sun screening device or combination of devices in conjunction with the glazing material of a motor vehicle which does not meet the requirements of the Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standards 205 in effect at the time of the glazing material's manufacture except as provided in this section. Any person who violates this section shall be liable for the removal of any sun screening device applied contrary to this section.

(c) A safety inspection required under section 286-25 shall include a test to ensure that the glazing material and any sun screening devices meet the requirements specified in this section.

(d) This section shall not apply to:

(1) Rearview mirrors;

(2) Adjustable nontransparent sun visors which are mounted forward of the side windows and are not attached to the glazing material;

(3) Signs, stickers, or other materials which are displayed in a seven-inch square in the lower corner of the windshield farthest removed from the driver or signs, stickers, or other materials which are displayed in a five-inch square in the lower corner of the windshield nearest the driver;

(4) Rear trunk lid handle or hinges;

(5) Window wipers and window wiper motors;

(6) Transparent sun screening film materials which are installed, affixed, or applied along the top edge of the windshield so long as such materials do not encroach upon the AS-1 portion of the windshield as provided by the Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standards 205 or no lower than four inches below the top of the windshield, when measured from the middle point of the bottom edge of the top windshield moulding if no AS-1 markings can be found in the left or right upper margin of the windshield;

(7) Sun screening devices for front side wing vents and windows which, when used in conjunction with the glazing material have a light transmittance of no less than thirty-five per cent plus or minus six per cent;

(8) Sun screening devices for side windows necessary for driving visibility which are to the rear of the driver and for rear windows necessary for driving visibility which, when used in conjunction with the glazing material, have a light transmittance of no less than thirty-five per cent plus or minus six per cent;

(9) Side windows which are to the rear of the driver and rear windows on vans, minivans, trucks, or buses; provided that the vehicles are equipped with rearview mirrors on both sides;

(10) Privacy drapes, curtains, or blinds, or any combination, installed on the interior of motor homes.

(e) Any person who violates this section shall be fined:

(1) Not less than $250 or more than $500 for each separate offense if the person is the owner of the motor vehicle which is in violation; and

(2) Not less than $500 nor more than $1,000 for each separate offense if the person or business entity is the installer of any sun screening device which does not meet the requirements of this section. The installer shall also reinstall sun protective devices which comply with this section, free of charge, or reimburse the motor vehicle owner for the cost of installing sun protective devices by another installer which comply with this section.

The receipt from the installer in the possession of the person in the motor vehicle at the time of the issuance of the citation shall be prima facie evidence of the identity of the installer. The installer shall issue a certificate to the vehicle owner at the time the sunscreen device is installed certifying that the device complies with law. The certificate shall be stored in the motor vehicle at all times. [L 1983, c 294, pt of §2; am L 1986, c 188, §2; am L 1989, c 54, §1; am L 2004, c 227, §1]

** Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standards 205

unknown member said:
Michigan allows a small shade, but not near enough to make it worth your while. It will get the average person pulled over, but you would have to be cocky with the cop to get a ticket. I doubt any cop would say anything to a wrecker operator here in my town, but if I had to leave town, maybe!

Cotton said:
In Louisiana the front side windows must allow at least 35% light passage. The rest can be as dark as you like.

LAMB Towing said:
I've never actually seen Oklahoma's law, but I've been told by officers that you have to be able to hold a business card on the inside of the window and read it from the outside. We tint the windows on all of our light duty wreckers, but not the heavies. They're hard enough to see out of at night without tint.

Tator Envy said:
in Ohio, you can restrict a maximum of 20% of the light on the front two windows, the back window can be as dark as you like if you have rear facing outside door mirrors.

unknown member said:
In Utah - 43% light transmittance for the front 2 windows, none on windshield, and unlimited on the others as long as both external rear view mirrors are installed. Most cops have tint meters to check it. Very strict here.

Dallas Horton said:
I'm not sure what Virginia's law is but I cant see in my truck during the day 648.gif. If I had it my way I would have my windshield done but that might push it a little bit.

SouthernStar1 said:
Most of our trucks have 5% limo tint on them. We have not had any problems anywhere we have been in them. I am even getting ready to do my Pete with some 5% this week.
Jamie

Untitled-1copy.jpg

Santiam01 said:
I just sold a truck to a guy in Arizona, he had the windows tinted before the truck left Oregon. Commercial vehicles in Oregon are allowed restriction of up to 20% side & rears, windshield must remain clear except for factory tint, but nobody enforces the rules unless you are doing something else more questionable. This information is according to the people that tintedthe windows for me.
logo.png

In Memory of DNDTOWINGCOM who said:
I believe federal law for commercial vehicles is no than 20% light reduction on front side glass and nothing other than factory shade across top of windshields. I know I fought Utah because my trucks were 25%. So I made all the drivers roll down both front windows going into and through the ports of entry/exit and never had any more problems.
Dann 
Vegas Heavy Haul Inc.
dba. Big Valley Towing
Las Vegas, NV.

Don AZ said:
No tint in this environment would be CRAZY!! I'm not worried about the law, the cop's all know us and they leave us alone. But if we did get a ticket I would just pay it and go on about my business. 644.gif

srxrick said:
The D.O.T. around here will give a ticket and make you remove the tint from any commercial vehicle.Factory tint only.

Eds Towing said:
20% In PA it used to be an inspection issue but they changed the law so that it is enforced by the police now & legal to inspect. They are supposed to have a "luminosity"(?) meter to determine the light reduction. But, I have only heard of them checking cars when they are busting chops.

Archived