Quantcast
  • Join the TowForce community.

It looks like you're not logged in. Register to get started and to receive Tower Down Notices.

Overturn 77 & 85 (from 2007)

Tow411

Topic Originally Created on Tow411 in July of 2007:

North Carolina Highway Patrol Dispatched us to the ramp off of I-85 South to the I-77 South bound ramp last week to an overturned flatbed truck, that had been loaded with two aluminum coils, 26,000 lbs each - both coils of course were on the ground - we flipped the truck and trailer back over - and used our rotator to load one coil back on the damaged trailer, but because of extensive damage to the trailer, and the rush to clear the ramp, we loaded the second coil on the back of the rotator to take to the customer that was only about a mile or so from the wreck, the whole job was done in less than three hours.

Got To Really Love Those Quick & Easy Job's!

By the way.. We Got Paid the Same Day! ~ 646.gif ~

Picture064.jpg
Picture065.jpg
Picture067.jpg
Picture068.jpg
Picture069.jpg
Picture070.jpg
Picture071.jpg
Picture072.jpg
Picture073.jpg
Picture074.jpg
Picture075.jpg
Picture076.jpg
Picture077.jpg
Picture078.jpg
Picture079.jpg
Picture080.jpg
Picture081.jpg
Picture082.jpg
Picture083.jpg
Picture084.jpg
Picture085.jpg
Picture086.jpg
Picture087.jpg
Picture088.jpg
Picture089.jpg
Picture090.jpg
Picture091.jpg
Picture092.jpg
Picture093.jpg
Picture094.jpg
Picture095.jpg
Picture096.jpg
Picture097.jpg
Picture098.jpg

HUNTER BOYZ ~ When Second Best Just Won't Do!

kw5030 said:

I would have to say those are some great shots, from the start to end. Did the tator lift the ass end of the trailer?

xcessiveforce52 said:

good team effort,trucks look good.....just a question you mentioned total job 3 hrs, was that from disp. to drop at cust. or arrival at scene up to road cleared? cause down here they would probably hang us from our boom if we were not in and out in an hour.....

foxtow82 said:

Very nice job from beginning to end! Trucks look very sharp. Thanks for sharing,

JARED
bobsbanner.jpg

Ed Barker said:
Good job,I think that was a reasonable time frame,nice equipment,,we never lift a coil without blocks in the line,,,I personally think you were pushing your luck,,,just my opinion,,,looks like you all stayed right on the ball and gotter done,,,,Xcessiveforce you don't have to worry about me working down your way,that kind of pressure would take the fun out of it,,,but my hats off to you.Our law enforcement is pretty reasonable within reason ,,,,but I'm sure the traffic issue is totally different from here to there.Take care,Ed

BigWheelRecovery tubeplatinum.gif said:
Nice job guys i hope you have a 4 hour min and i like the big jerr-dan looks sharp 659.gif
bigwheelsig.jpg

Candle1 said:
great team effort .nice job with the pictures
linda and jim of schliers towing

glenn27 said:
Nice work--and good looking equipement....
One observation, please--in two of your pics about halfway through the string--I noticed your snatch blocks hooked to the stiff legs, with the hook "UP". Years ago--we were taught in both Bill Jackson's and Ross Kinman's recovery classes. This was supposidly , in case of breakage, the force would be directed downward toward the ground, not up in the air.They stressed to have the hook openings upward. Is that just "old school thinking'?

Original member creating topic said:
Nice work--and good looking equipment....
One observation, please--in two of your pics about halfway through the string--I noticed your snatch blocks hooked to the stiff legs, with the hook "UP". Years ago--we were taught in both Bill Jackson's and Ross Kinman's recovery classes. This was supposidly , in case of breakage, the force would be directed downward toward the ground, not up in the air.They stressed to have the hook openings upward. Is that just "old school thinking'?

wstowing11 wrote:
Are those two Jerr-Dans there ?

The two 50 ton trucks are Jerr-Dan - the tator we have is a Century..

Jerrys Road Service said:
Yes sir there stating hooks UP.not down bro i was always tought as well hook openings UP.also we always chain axel up the frame rail and NEVER single line 26k LOL.use blocks bro were not bashing at all sir just trying to help and not see a accident bro.thats why we bother to even say Sh*t so there wont be problems no personal fellings here were all one BIG happy family.

wstowing11 said:
Is that a 60 ton Jerr-Dan and a 50 ton Jerr-Dan , along with the Miller rotator ??

The tator is a 60 ton, it is a Century, the two Jerr-Dan trucks are both 50 ton trucks.

Brian Coleman said:
You have some great trucks and the job is done but that is some of the most dangerous rigging I have ever seen in my near 30 years of hd. towing.

The Towboss said:
We never place cargo ( espically coils OR steel products ) back on the trailer it came off of, explain to the judge how you determined that that trailer was safe after being parked on its side and you took the liabilty to put the load back on it, and I know it's only to get back to the YARD. Get some steel chokers to lift your coils with, much safer, no link damage to chain, and they wont slide. Opinions are like A** holes, we all got 'em.
031251d51ddc3d39de47c7a133cddf37acd44aa.jpg                                       
Don't tell me NO, and never say it "CAN'T be done", cause I'll prove you wrong !!!
www.waffco.net

leroy hedrick tubegreen.gif said:
nice trucks quick recovery nice to have big iron but i do it with a old 750 and a 650 i just use more tools in the ole' toolbox.

ken fondren said:
hunter i have a question ????? how do you like those j/d 50 ton????
The boss has been having dinners with j/d corp looking at getting 2 of them 50s.
Hopefully I am next in line for one of them, any feed back would be really nice .

We like them very well, their really nice, I'm not sure you want to know, but I'll say this, as far as I'm concerned their the best we have, my second choice is Century, but Jerr-Dann does make the best wrecker body, "note : my opinion"

timstruckservice said:
The Tip of the Hook Should be Pointing upward, So that in the event the tip break's off ....... The Force of the Snatch Block Goes downward into the Ground instead of up in the air & Hurting someone or something. I too Wondered about where the Chain Hook up on the Steer axle was at ..... I hook a chain around the Frame - Up & over the steering link arm for the Tie Rod end & then hook a sister chain around the I-Beam so I get as high as possible for pulling down on the axle ! Also, I wonder why not use the Rotater to bring the Trailer over instead of Twisting it over from the Tractor's weight ???? If you got it there why not use it ???? It looked like the Chain holding the Coil needed a second one run through there Just In Case something happened .... Better to be safe than Sorry !...........Nice Pictures & Very Nice looking Trucks....TIM
37e15a5cc2fbea6e04f06b18049fb0958983f8f.pjpg

Heavytowman12 said:
Like those type jobs. Upright it, lift them up, load them, then tow it away. Beat's a overturned van trailer that has to be off loaded any day. Do you very many on that ramp.
Nice work men!

Yes we do, that I-85 South to I-77 South bound ramp has claimed more than it's fair share of trucks, car's, motorhomes, horse trailers, just name it, there has for the longest been a lot of overturns on that ramp we don't have a rotaition here in Charlotte, we have zones, there are four zone's and four companies that handle each area "zone" around Mecklenburg County, that ramp there has been in our zone for as long as I've worked for Hunter and that would be since 1996, the worst one I can remember has been several years ago, but we worked one on that ramp one day that had a load of truck batteries, and of course they were all over the ground out there, so yes, that one took a while to clean up, those things are HEAVY, and after picking them all up, by hand, each and every one of them, talk about being sore.. I never want to see one like that again.

Archived