Quantcast
  • Join the TowForce community.

It looks like you're not logged in. Register to get started and to receive Tower Down Notices.

Baggin' Apples!  

Tow411

Topic Originally created by Schmitty30 in May of 2013:
Around 12:15 on Tuesday, May 14th, we were called by the Ohio Turnpike to expedite a response to the 159mm westbound for an overturned commercial vehicle, unknown load, leaking fluids. We responded with a heavy wrecker, service truck and our fuel recovery unit. Once on scene we discovered a tractor trailer with a reefer trailer on its passenger side completely off the road in a ditch. Working with the turnpike, we laid down booms to catch the fluids that had already leaked out, drilled the fuel tanks on the tractor, pumped off the fuel, removed the fuel from the reefer tank, disconnected the batteries and removed the driveline. With a ten mile traffic back up due to an emergency road repair a few miles ahead of us, and no additional hazards to the traffic or the environment, the turnpike advised us that they would prefer that we held off until the next morning to perform the recovery.

The following morning, we responded with our 60 ton rotator, 50 ton heavy wrecker, air cushion recovery trailer, service truck, and single axle dolly converter. Turnpike workers set up a one lane work zone at 8:30am and we went to work. We first pulled the pin, winched the tractor away from the trailer, and rolled it back to its wheels. We moved it up the road and out of the way.

With the truck out of the way, we could focus on the trailer. When the unit rolled over, the manifests scattered, leading to some confusion as to the weight and type of load that was actually in the trailer. We were originally told it was 8500 pounds of frozen beef. Opening the rear doors was not an option, as the trailer was already on an angle. The evening before, we were able to open the view door to discover pallets of apples, side by side, floor to ceiling, beginning approximately 6 feet from the rear doors.

We decided that it would be easier to upright the trailer on level, hard ground vs. in a muddy ditch. So we rigged our two heavy wreckers to the trailer and winched it to the road. As the pictures show, the trailer fought us the entire way out, and brought the sod up with it. When we got it to the road, we discovered that when the trailer plowed into the hillside, it wrinkled the roofline slightly.

With the trailer up on the road, we were able to begin the upright with our cushions. We placed our dolly converter on the kingpin, spun it, and chained it in place. We began at the nose of the trailer with our medium pressure cushions, and one by one worked our cushions under the trailer. We began to upright the trailer, watching the walls and roofline, and repositioning cushions as necessary. Once the roof rail was about 4-5 feet off the ground, we placed our straps, rechecked our cushion placements and pressures, and placed our landing cushions under the tires. We inflated our air cushions to their maximum height, took over with the trucks, and brought the trailer over onto the landing cushions. The trailer came down smoothly onto its wheels.

We packed up our cushions, brought one of our bobtails in to haul the trailer back, hooked the tractor and swept the road of all foreign debris. From the time we pulled out our driveway until we pulled back in was approximately 6 hours.

This was the first rollover we were able to use our new Sonetics headsets on. For anyone who hasn't had the opportunity to work with these yet, you have no idea how much easier it is with on scene communications.

Thanks for looking

As always, BE SAFE!!!

RolloverOTP159wb001_zpsad72a8e1.jpg

RolloverOTP159wb003_zps7f4ed098.jpg

RolloverOTP159wb004_zps680dac8e.jpg

RolloverOTP159wb006_zps396e3a0d.jpg

RolloverOTP159wb007_zps97be89a4.jpg

RolloverOTP159wb010_zps879ae557.jpg

RolloverOTP159wb020_zps9f5179ee.jpg

RolloverOTP159wb022_zpsbe9780bf.jpg

RolloverOTP159wb026_zps2ca8ed1e.jpg

RolloverOTP159wb029_zps5fe93def.jpg

RolloverOTP159wb030_zpsa432b601.jpg

RolloverOTP159wb031_zps7ba659de.jpg

RolloverOTP159wb038_zps08f16fbe.jpg

RolloverOTP159wb046_zps3c0c4ca3.jpg

RolloverOTP159wb040_zpse1b46cae.jpg

RolloverOTP159wb049_zpscc99b534.jpg

RolloverOTP159wb059_zpsa1222c99.jpg

RolloverOTP159wb061_zps3a9fa9ae.jpg

RolloverOTP159wb064_zps0503a496.jpg

RolloverOTP159wb039_zpsa52fd34e.jpg
Our senior operator/team leader hard at work!

972138_10151378409962191_280212053_n1_zps0f4ffe20.jpg

RolloverOTP159wb071_zps76057f76.jpg

RolloverOTP159wb072_zps52532fca.jpg

RolloverOTP159wb073_zps8e1fc500.jpg

RolloverOTP159wb077_zps140e2134.jpg

RolloverOTP159wb082_zps74ee4a02.jpg

RolloverOTP159wb091_zpse3705c15.jpg

RolloverOTP159wb092_zpse45e99be.jpg

RolloverOTP159wb095_zpsb17ef261.jpg

RolloverOTP159wb093_zpsd2b30de0.jpg

941601_10151378410127191_1356062411_n1_zps163d7fe9.jpg

schmitty30.jpg

foxtow82 said:
Great job Schmitty "B.F.S", Dale, and Rich's crew!

JARED

DTR tubegreen.gif said:
Nice job and pics good looking trucks

bobsbanner.jpg

jacksmelbourne tubegreen.gif said:
That is beautiful work ! Great job by your team .

kw2013669 said:
why do you have the black tarps on the tandems and dolly? just wondering.

George Fulk said:
To protect the landing bags from cuts and grease.

Ed Barker said:
Great looking job.

bdale9055 said:
I have a question, I see this alot more now why have alot of companys separate the tractor from the trailer when there doing a upright.  I've done my share of uprights with n without aircushions n just wondering why. Ty Tim Bloomingdale

Strllostowing said:
Beautiful job . Perfect no other words. I really like the way you protect the landing bags with the tarps. Eight aircushions what was the pressure on each bag? I personally would answer the question of separation of truck and trailer as why put the extra strain on the trailer of the tractor coming over and twisting it. I like separation of truck and trailer.

BMK3457 said:

First and foremost, I'd like to thank everyone for the positive comments, as well as the questions. I feel that's what makes us better as an industry, questioning one another to learn and grow. The location and positioning of where this unit ended up made for a interesting recovery back to the road. 

bdale9055 and wrecker812~ Everyone knows that every recovery is different. Before we begin a recovery, we look at all the factors surrounding it. Had this truck and trailer been up on the pavement on its side, we would've left the tractor hooked up. Instead, it was down in the ditch. So we decided it would be easier to remove the truck from the equation. It proved to be the right move because the trailer fought us the whole way to the road and slid back and forth on the grass and mud. The truck would've become an unnecessary pain in the ass. Hopefully that answered your questions...

strollostowing~ I wasn't running the valve bank. So you can't quote me on this. But I believe Dale said we were about 2 1/2 psi, possibly 3, at our highest load once we began our final lift.

kw2013669~ Hopefully George Fulk satisfied you with his answer because he is exactly correct. Those landing cushions were a huge investment and they have made their money back multiple times over. And the longer they stay in good shape, the more money they'll make us. Plus, after a long recovery, the last thing anyone wants to do is spend more time than necessary cleaning your equipment back at the shop.

Hopefully all questions have been answered. Please, by all means feel free to continue to ask questions and critique the job. The only way we'll get better is by learning!

Rich's Towing Service Inc.
Brendan Kilkenny
2nd Shift Operations-Heavy Duty
Wreckmaster Certified Level 4/5 ID#071266
Matjack Factory Level I Certified
BTR Heavy Rescue Certified
OSHA 40-Hour HAZWOPER Certified
NFPA HazMat Operations Level
NFPA Rope Rescue and Recovery Technician
Firefighter/EMT-B
330-421-5229-Cell
440-234-3435-Office
440-234-0713-Fax

BigWheelRecovery tubeplatinum.gif said:

Very nice first class job.
bigwheelsig.jpg
visit our new website bigwheeltowingandrecovery.com

ILTowman said:
First class job. perfect placement of the bags. What a beautiful job. Great work by the Rich's Crew
tr104_zps6890a2c7.jpg

Archived