Quantcast
  • Join the TowForce community.

It looks like you're not logged in. Register to get started and to receive Tower Down Notices.

Arrest made in Tow truck driver death on I-5 Stockton (CA)

TowNews

Added 12.29.18

Eloisa Morga finds symbolism in the metal butterfly pendant she found by her late father's truck after he died early Christmas morning.

Stockton man arrested in deadly Christmas Day DUI crash, CHP says

Tow truck driver was killed in I-5 crash

STOCKTON, Calif. (KCRA) —

A Stockton man was arrested in connection with a deadly DUI crash, California Highway Patrol said Thursday.

Kylle Thomasson, 25, was taken into custody early Christmas Day after the crash that killed a tow truck driver, CHP said. He was under the influence of alcohol at the time of the crash, CHP said.

The crash happened just before 2 a.m. on northbound Interstate 5, near Mathews Road. CHP said the tow truck driver was hit by Thomasson while loading a vehicle on the truck in the right shoulder of the highway.

Thomasson was driving a 2001 GMC when he lost control of the truck, hit the tow truck driver, overturned back into traffic and crashed with two other vehicles, CHP said.

The tow truck driver was pronounced dead at the scene.

Thomasson was medically cleared and then booked into San Joaquin County Jail on charges of felony manslaughter and DUI, CHP said.

No other details were released.

RESOURCE LINK

STOCKTON -- A tow truck operator working on the side of Interstate 5 on Christmas was killed when he was hit by a suspected drunken driver.

Just before 2 a.m., the tow truck operator was loading a vehicle onto his truck on the shoulder of northbound I-5, just north of West Mathews Road.

The CHP reports a 2001 GMC lost control and veered into the shoulder, hitting the tow truck operator. It then overturned back into traffic, hitting two other vehicles.

The tow truck operator died at the scene. His identity has not been released.

CHP Stockton says the GMC's driver, 25-year-old Kylle Thomasson of Stockton, was booked into the San Joaquin County Jail on suspicion of felony manslaughter and driving under the influence.

Thomasson was on the 10th and 15th seasons of American Idol, according to the CHP.

RESOURCE LINK

Stockton Family Honors Tow Truck Driver Killed by Suspected Drunken Driver

STOCKTON -- A Stockton family is honoring a tow truck operator who was killed Christmas Day by a suspected drunken driver.

The CHP reports the 48-year-old father was working on northbound Interstate 5 near Mathews Road when a GMC lost control.

Throughout Bob’s Tow Yard pictures of Juan Morga were hung Thursday. His son, Jorge, said this past Christmas holiday now haunts the family.

Morga was loading a car onto his truck on the shoulder of I-5 when the CHP says 25-year-old driver Kyle Thomasson, who officers suspect was drunk, fatally crashed into him.

Some community members remember Thomasson as a contestant on seasons 10 and 15 of "American Idol."

In California, drivers must slow down or get onto another lane whenever there are first responders or tow truck drivers pulled over on the shoulder.

Jorge Morga, who is a high school senior, is now dedicating his life to saving the lives of others.

"My father has always been that type of guy who doesn’t like to have everything focused on him," he said. "So I thought it was a great idea to bring awareness to drunk driving and to all these tow truck operators and construction workers who are killed daily because of laws that are not enforced."

Jorge Morga said they will be saying a prayer for anyone whose lives have been torn apart by drunken drivers. He also said he is hoping to work with Mothers Against Drunk Driving to raise more awareness.

RESOURCE LINK

Archived