Quantcast
  • Join the TowForce community.

It looks like you're not logged in. Register to get started and to receive Tower Down Notices.

HERO: Tow Truck Driver foils violent carjacking (DC) "Updated 02.26.24"

Heroic tow truck driver foils violent carjacking, saves senior's life in DC

FOX 5 EXCLUSIVE - A tow truck driver rescued a 76-year-old man from a violent robbery and carjacking in Northeast on Tuesday afternoon, and it was all caught on camera.

Nemr Ibrahim exclusively told FOX 5's Shomari Stone that he was sitting in his tow truck around 3:30 p.m., looking out of the front window, and saw a gray Audi SUV pull up to the pump at the Shell gas station on the 1700 block of New York Avenue Northeast.

Video FOX 5 obtained shows the elderly driver getting out of his SUV to get gas.

The suspect, dressed in a light-colored jacket, runs up to the driver, tussles with him, pushes him, forces his way into the SUV, and then slams the door.

He starts up the car, but Mr. Ibrahim quickly opens the door, grabbing the suspect, throwing him on the ground, and holding him down.

Moments later, D.C. police show up and arrest the suspected carjacker.

FOX 5 spoke to the good Samaritan who was still startled after the encounter.

"I feel better now," said Mr. Ibrahim. "I saved somebody's life. So, I feel better now."

c70f27dd709b212f9f1e2e2eaec1cb23.png

Heroic tow truck driver foils violent carjacking, saves senior's life in DC

Mr. Ibrahim added that he stepped in because the victim was an older guy, and he felt he "had to do it."

"One God, one life. When my time is coming I’ll go, but I have to save the older guy," he said.

Charles Gladden, the senior citizen who was almost allegedly carjacked, told FOX 5 he's appreciative Mr. Ibrahim rescued him.

"I'm in need of a knee replacement and I knelt down to get my cane. I was trying to keep my balance," Gladden said. "This guy was strong. Whatever he was on, he was strong. I was very thankful this guy was in the right place at the right time."

A D.C. police spokesperson told FOX 5 that the suspect was highly intoxicated.

He was placed under arrest for attempted carjacking.

• Thanks 1

Heroic tow truck driver reunites with 76-year-old he rescued from violent carjacking in Northeast

VIDEO IN LINK BELOW TO BE ADDED

FOX 5 EXCLUSIVE - A heroic tow truck driver reunited Monday with the 76-year-old man he rescued from a carjacking at a Northeast gas station.

It's the first time the two have seen each other since it happened last Tuesday.

Charles Gladden's family reached out to FOX 5's Shomari Stone to put him in contact with the good Samaritan because they wanted to thank him for putting his life in danger to help someone he didn't even know. And they wanted to celebrate his birthday.

On Monday evening, Nemr Ibrahim and Mr. Gladden got together at Buddy's Restaurant in Northwest.

"I wanted to thank him in person in a different setting than the one that we met in," Mr. Gladden said. "I just wanted to tell the brother that I was glad that he was there for me and just thank him and show my appreciation … Let him know that we’re bonded and that he’s my brother now."

"At the time, I saw an elderly man who needed my help, so I wouldn’t think about a weapon or anything because I knew God was with me," Nemr said.

Last Tuesday, Ibrahim exclusively told FOX 5's Shomari Stone that he was sitting in his tow truck around 3:30 p.m., looking out of the front window, and saw a gray Audi SUV pull up to the pump at the Shell gas station on the 1700 block of New York Avenue Northeast.

Surveillance video shows the elderly man getting out of the SUV to get gas. Suddenly, the suspect runs up, struggles with Mr. Gladden, pushing him, and forcing his way into the SUV, and then slamming the door.

Nemr jumped out of his tow truck and quickly opened the door, grabbing the suspect, throwing him on the ground, and holding him down until D.C. police arrived.

D.C. police officers showed up minutes later and arrested the suspected carjacker.

The suspect was reportedly highly intoxicated. He's now facing carjacking charges.

• Like 1

• TowForce changed the title to HERO: Tow Truck Driver foils violent carjacking (DC) "Updated 02.26.24"
  • 3 weeks later...