Quantcast
  • Join the TowForce community.

It looks like you're not logged in. Register to get started and to receive Tower Down Notices.

The roll back for me

Any tips on who might be able to build the truck I want. 

I need 4WD puts me in a Ford or Dodge truck unless there’s something heavier I don’t know about. My current trucks are late model Fords so I lean towards Ford. More to the point an F600 4wD. I have not seen a standard cab Gm 6500 4wd to date so I don’t think that’s possible. Needs to be a standard cab so I can put as much deck behind it as possible. 

It will be a custom build frame extended, bigger springs would like front locking diff if it’s even possible. Probably $40k in add ons maybe more. But I want a 20 foot or longer rollback. 

it seems my quest is headed the wrong direction post covid the shortage of something truck or rollback or labor but I'm not any closer to filling this order. Most builders are not interested in builds like this right now.  At one point I decided to give up the search. Now the strike will complicate this. But I think I need to get on someone’s list. Any tips in a builder that is willing to do a frame extended longer than normal roll back on this class truck. 

Why the need for a stretched frame? A lot of dealers are hesitant about that due to warranty restrictions by the manufacturer. I had a 550 stretched and had issues with it but it can be done. I haven't heard of anyone doing a F600 though. Not really a need for it. You are talking about building something bigger & stronger but at a point where you are trying to re-engineer the truck, most dealers are going to shy away.

20230907_095453.thumb.jpg.5847973512cf0b2f2ad25e6a82869b93.jpg

My excavator is like 12,000lbs and the F600 handles it very well. It exceeds the trucks GVW at this point though. If you need to move more weight then that, then buy a bigger truck. This has a 20' body on it. I don't imagine anyone would put a locker in the steer axle of one of these...it would destroy it under weight.

As for the strike issues, I don't know how that will effect issues. I have a new Explorer we had built for my wife that we got confirmation was completed a few days prior to the strike and waiting for transport. It's been 3 weeks now and I haven't heard anything so I guess it's sitting in a lot at Ford somewhere waiting....

The stretched frame adds a lot to the weight distribution and with the EV trucks which are in my area and growing in popularity it’s a plus. I do a lot of work in the mountains and quite a few trucks that are loaded and often in bad road conditions. My current F550 has an extended frame and in comparison to these that have not been extended theres quite a bit of an advantage in steering handling and braking when loaded in these conditions. Crew cab LWB trucks in the mountains is a common tow for me. 

Our mountain ranges are different than most. We go from sea level to 14,000 feet quickly lots of steep winding roads there also the dirt and gravel roads the people that live on at the base of the mountains live on. I suffer from the experience of owning an extended frame truck and really don't want to buy a new one thats not. I also am not in a rush and do think this will be the last truck I buy. Adding the truck I want to my line up now puts me  through my working days. Probably why no one I have found wants to build one for me.