Quantcast
  • Join the TowForce community.

It looks like you're not logged in. Register to get started and to receive Tower Down Notices.

150K lb Cement Tanker Rollover Accident

Topic Originally Created by BigHook18 aka Todd Pell in June of 2007:

We received a call from our good customer to upright and tow a powder cement tractor trailer that was in a fatal accident about 65 miles from our shop. We responded with a 60T Rotator, and a 9055. Upon arrival we learned a 15yr old on only a driving permit 2 weeks pulled out in front of the loaded truck. The boy was airlifted to the hospital, but sadly his mother did not make it.

The tractor and lead had rollover and the pup was still upright, the hitch severely bound and twisted. We hammered the pin out and winched the pup away so we could go to work on the tractor and lead. We positioned the rotator to do a top lift and catch and the 9055 to the tractor front axle and a down pull on the trailer. It had 57K of material and the T/T weighed about 33K, so we were up-righting about 90K lb.

Once up-righted, we winched it backward and towed to their shop.

Work007.webp.8e757a6278ac9d339dd2878b37b35ea7.webp

Work011.webp.e2c491ab8519d990cc23b00084de11f1.webp

Work010.webp.b0cb95a3a93f02bae4f3ab4ba1b41a6a.webp

Work012.webp.7e48df2b9b905b4f15ac018aba3a81f0.webp

Work014.webp.d46c9c9b261483b30abf984f386b5142.webp

Work015.webp.18c28f1a4b21bb25f63b9c62e35591a6.webp

Eric said:

Looks like a job well done. I do have one question though. We don't see a lot of those trailers, why did you use a chain on the tanker instead of a strap? Already damaged to even worry about it? Not bashing at all I think it was well done just a question.

Todd Pell Replied:

Thanks for the question Eric,

We elected to use grade 100 chains because of the weight of the unit and the sharp edges and ridges. There is a step/platform that ran the length of the tank. We didn't want to cut or ruin any straps, the bottom side was severely damaged already, chains were easier to rig and we thought the safer option overall. We used a strap as a control because the top of the tank (drivers side) wasn't damaged.

BigWheelRecovery said:

TOP NOTCH JOB VERY NICE CAN,T BEAT THAT TATER THE DRAG WINCH IS A MUST HAVE .THANKS ERIC

Claytons Towing:

Well done, neat recovery, good pics......Mike

blue hills towing:

nice job,trucks look very nice also

Kim Inman said:

Nice job! Well thought out. Those are very heavy & awkward to deal with.

In Memory of Scooby who said:

looks good

TowBoy88 said:

Looks good Merl crew. Nice job.

Jerrys Road Service said:

Very Nice job.i like the help from drag winch

In Memory of lasvegastowpro who said:

Great job Excellent use of your drag winch as a catch line, nice and easy roll-over

shtowing said:

Sad to hear about the mom did the boy pull completely through

Bighook18 aka Todd Pell said:

Brise, the boy was going to be in surgery all night from what I was told. At the time of the accident his outlook was grim. I haven't heard otherwise, so I am sure he is still hanging in there. I hope for the best for him.

hookmastrer said:

Nice recovery and no sense chancing a strap on the down side for sure . That 3rd winch sure comes in handy !

wreckerman05 said:

that was a excellent recovery--of course that some nice equipment also--that was alot of weight to deal with,lucky the rear unit stayed on its wheels

auto rescue said:

It's amazing what damage a car can reap upon a semi.

Thank you for the pictures.

• Like 1