Quantcast
  • Join the TowForce community.

It looks like you're not logged in. Register to get started and to receive Tower Down Notices.

Tow Truck Struck Resulting in Death - 01.18.23 (GA)

TowNews

1 person dead after crash on Hwy. 17, Chatham Co. Police investigating

326543449_3395422817385931_8336433338779921144_n.jpg

SAVANNAH, Ga. (WTOC) - The Chatham County Police Department is investigating a crash that killed one person.

It happened Wednesday night on Highway 17.

Northbound lanes of Highway 17 had to be shut down from Chief O.F. Love Road South to the Bryan County line.

Georgia State Patrol was also on scene.

Georgia State Patrol says a tow truck was trying to make a u-turn on highway 17 near Love’s Seafood just after 6:30 p.m.

A car traveling behind the tow truck was unable to stop, causing the crash.

After the impact, GSP says the car burst into flames.

The driver died at the scene.

Police have identified him as 32-year-old Adam Daughtry from Savannah.

The crash is still under investigation.

RESOURCE LINK

UPDATED:

A woman who says she stopped to help a driver who died after a crash in Chatham County is talking exclusively with WTOC.

That crash happened Wednesday evening around 6:30 p.m. on Ogeechee Road at Chief of Love Road.

Stephanie Lange says she was driving northbound on Ogeechee Road when she came across the crash.

She says people tried desperately to help free the SUV driver.

“The car, like, exploded, and everybody backed away and it started to catch more fire,” said Lange.

Stephanie Lang says the SUV was already billowing with smoke when she and others pulled over to help the driver.

Lange didn’t want to go on camera but says once the group realized the tow truck operator didn’t have a fire extinguisher, they used shovels to break through the SUV’s windows but it was too late.

“It kept on exploding and it would do a big cloud of smoke, or a big fireball and it would catch more on fire,” said Lange

Preliminary info from Georgia State Patrol says the tow truck was traveling north on Ogeechee Road making a U-turn to travel south.

The SUV, a gold GMC Yukon, also traveling north, was unable to stop and struck the tow truck.

Christine and I send our prayers to the family of the deceased motorist. It seems that this preventable collision is becoming more and more frequent.

U-Turns are risky business and shouldn't be attempted for obvious reasons. There's no tow truck that can make rapid acceleration to complete an attempt. I covered this topic before.

Link:    https://towindustryweek.com/12-rates-trade/3963-center-divider-u-turns#repotimes

Randall C. Resch

My policy has been once I have the casualty loaded, I am just a normal vehicle and should follow all laws. This situation proves home this point. 

Plus, even if I am unloaded and headed to emergency call, the object is I get there in one piece. I am no good if I don't get there. 

"Oh, Just call ANYBODY!"