Quantcast
  • Join the TowForce community.

It looks like you're not logged in. Register to get started and to receive Tower Down Notices.

Load It or Move It

Look how much more room this driver had to move over when stopped.

If this trafic stop resulted in an arrest you were called. Would you move the vehicle further to the side before loading or would you just load it where it sits?

I always ask that the officer leave the key or fob with the vehicle. That way should the vehicle need to be moved as in the situation, it can be done. Also, having the key to place the vehicle in nuetral speed the process up enough that it could made the difference for a carrier operator.

What are your thoughts?

Great safety discussion Ron where this speaks to a long list of operators killed working the white-line side of the highway.

To me, shoulder strikes (like this) is a strike none-the-less regardless where it's parked. Even if the car was moved ten-feet to the right, there's still potential of a deadly strike. I stay off the white-line side so not have to dodge traffic getting in or out. That's an unnecessary step.

For on-highway calls, my drivers are trained to have the winch-line positioned and locked-in at the passenger-side rear corner (like the pic). It puts the operator on the non-traffic side. If this is an arrest, keys are generally in the car or with the officer.

To limit my time spent on-scene, I attach both J-s (of a loading bridle) to the passenger side suspension and winch it onto the deck without entering the car. I don't worry about insessant complaints and cable side-stacking is minimal and not to any point where cable gets damaged. This way the car stays in-gear and E-brake is on.

All of this is done from the non-traffic side and behind protection of the carrier's mass. If the load location is as dangerous as the video shows, I attach only the non-traffic side ratchet straps and take the vehicle off the first ramp to complete four-point. Like all tow situations,

I quickly discuss my plan with the officer and let them know what I'm doing. I ask the officer to follow behind me with red and blue light's "on" until I get up-to-speed. This is what I practice ... this is what I teach! My company practice is; we don't send wheel-lifts to on-highway calls unless a winch/recovery-truck is requested. But, then again, isn't a rollover a recovery?

My guys are trained in not working the white-line side and we don't send new operators to on-hghway calls. Shoulder work is a game of speed and one that needs constant refining and practice.      R.

NON-Traffic Side Cable Carrier.jpg

Randall C. Resch

Randall, my preference is an Autoload on the interstate. That is unless the vehicle is totally disabled and requires dollies, then a Rollback may be preferred. If tow ops would just hook the vehicle securely enough to get to a safer location where a proper securement can be made. I see far to many rollback drivers doing 4 point and 8 point tie downs in the middle of the interstate. I have blocked for drivers doing this when I am on scene. Then the driver approaches my drivers side to thank me. That was the third mistake, the first was working the traffic side and the second was taking the added time to fully secure the vehicle. They generally get and ear full as I tell them to get away from the traffic. I did not exit my vehicle for just that reason.

I suppose it is all these topics but I find that my eyes are always on the traffic and my ears are listening as well. I have done this for so long and dodged so many near misses, I do it instintively. This is why we often see the years of experince drivers have being struck is generally low. However, there are expceptions. What we need to teach is how to set up or secure the scene. There are far to often details missed that may have reduced the risk. I suppose it is the nature of the business that tow ops just get to the job. Some fear it and some don't, I have not come to a conclussion which is better. To Fear or Not to Fear. I do know that those that keep up with the Tower Down Notifcations seem to have a different mindset out there or the roadway then those that do not.

How do we as an industry do a better job at getting that message out there. I have stressed safety meetings, yet the majority of companies do not conduct these on a regular basis. The companies that start them do not follow through and there are few if any meetings going forward. Myself and others have added topics to the forums which can be discussed in these meetings. I hsve asked that companies print out the tower down topics and either hang them up or lay them on a drivers room table. I get negative reactions and they would rather their drivers not hear of the tragic deaths and injuries. I would think that would make the drivers think about safety much more. Some thing it would make them less safe. My thoughts are maybe the some drivers would say the job is too dangerous. Many thoughts go through my head and if I am dead tomorrow. Know that I did everything I could to work safe. One got through and that seems to be the case most often. One Got Through or didn't Move Over!

• Like 1

On 3/8/2022 at 5:24 PM, TowZone said:

If tow ops would just hook the vehicle securely enough to get to a safer location where a proper securement can be made.

Thanks Ron for your words to live by ... they apply to whatvever type of truck one operates. Being afraid and being aware run close to parallel.

Towers tend to fear being cited versus being struck and killed. It doesn't make sense!

Getting the message out there is problematic when small tow companies from rural America don't have or don't take an opportunity to get formally trainined, or even read tow related media. But, even if towers have training, the still walk, work and stand with backs to traffic, work white-line controls, stand between vehicles, or step into traffic lanes.

Forgive me for saying, an approaching motorist can't control a tow operator's actions any more than towers can control a distracted drivers actions.  Perhaps it's the lack of safety that's somewhat inset in most tower's minds; evident in new reports, YouTube Videos or simply watching towers work. Perhaps its engrained in a tower's DNA to look beyond potential danger like cops, fire fighters, even jet pilots?

As far as age and experience goes, there are far too many recorded incidents where experienced and seasoned tow operators, even owners were struck while working on-highway events. I firmly believe that sometimes with experience comes complacency. Like you mentioned, I haven't come to any conclusion ... only an increased level of frustration.        R. 

Randall C. Resch