Quantcast
  • Join the TowForce community.

It looks like you're not logged in. Register to get started and to receive Tower Down Notices.

When do you service your trucks? (From 2004)

This is an old topic by an unknown member on Tow411:

How many miles in-between PM's do you run, and what does your PM cover?

Do you do everything every time or do some things wait for every other PM?

Also, what brand oil is your favorite and why?

Does any1 run synthetics?

Unknown Member said in 2004:

I'm running a couple of F-550 7.3 power strokes and a Heavy cummins. I do oil changes every 3,000 using only Chevron Delo 15/40. I use synthetics in each rear end differential. I ad Lucas to my transmissions and change the trans and cooling fluids every 50K. I mark the miles and date on the bottom of the oil filter. I'm currently doing research on the type of oil filter to use. Since I buy them in bulk to reduce the cost by nearly half, I currently use Prestone oil filters. But we don't have the long driving you guys do over in the mainland. Our problems are having humidity mix with the oils. So if you don't change oils regularly, depending on your usage, you can develop rust and moisture problems in the cylinders. Then, it's not a bad idea every 50K to run a couple of quarts of transfluid in your oil for the 3,000 miles.

TowTrk1 said:

We are supposed to service trucks?
I wanna hire that NAPA guy in the commercial..he can work on it while its traveling at 75 mph down I-95. That's the type of mechanic we need

sigtowtrk1.gif.27e9af7ad44cfa2885bc87925fa01974.gif

datowman said:

every 6000 or so miles do pm's. check every aspect of the truck. change all filters and oil. any repairs that are needed. we have a two sided check list in small type we go through everytime for every truck.Stay Safe
John

transtow said:

We change the oil every 250 hours of service. We run synth. trans fluid in the roadrangers and mercon in the auto's We have 7 Cummings motors 1 cat. We change trans fluid every 3rd oil change and grease u-joints. My shop happens to be one of the very few that has a lift big enough to lift a large truck/bus up to 64.000 lbs. We repair trans do clutches and so we just got dine mounting a 7035 century.

Unkonwn member said:

We run all diesels in our tow trucks.We have a Cummins,Cat and a new 6.0 powerstoke.We change oil,oil filters,fuel filters and lube entire truck every 5000 mi. Air filters usally last 15000-20000 mi. and we service auto trans at 25000mi.,if auto trans has cartridge filter we change it along with oil filter at 5000mi.We use Shell Rotella 15w40 oil.My light vehicles and personal vehicles are serviced at 3000mi intervals.

hansonma said:

Every 5k on my DT466's & GM 6.5, shell rotella 15/40.I will lube the chassis and other moving parts again in between services.I'm pretty faithful but winter time will stretch the services out a little.
Kevin

Truck said:

we change the fluids every 20k km's and grease,check brakes etc. every 2 weeks.

lantz70 said:

every 5000 miles oil,lube filter.fuel filters and air every ten thou.amsoil synthetic grease,rotella 15-40.

Unknown Member said:

lube chassis and wrecker body every 4000 miles using redtack sold by moble , oil and filter and fuel filter every 8000 miles, brake inspections 4 times a year, air filter every 30,000 miles
use guardall 15/40 and synthetics in trans and rear ends. drain and fill rear ends and trans once a year

Unknown Member said:

5W30 in the Chevys, 10W40 in the Ford -- all gasoline. Complete chassis lube and oil change every 3000 miles, bed lube at least every 6000 (try for 3k, but not always possible). Everything else per manufacturer's schedule.