Quantcast
  • Join the TowForce community.

It looks like you're not logged in. Register to get started and to receive Tower Down Notices.

Concrete Truck Rollover, back in 2004.

Topic Originally Created on Tow411 by Gale25yrs in April of 2004:

We got another Fire Department request today for a man pinned in an overturned mixer. The call came in around 11:00 am and before any units were on scene. It turns out the driver got out on his own but we stayed and worked the wreck with our competitor/friend. Time on scene was around 90 minutes total. The first 2 pictures show what we arrived too. An empty mixer weighing around 28,000.

GALE042404A.jpg

GALE042404B.jpg

After coming up with a plan we went to work. I secured the rear of the rig while we reached up

and over with the rotator to set the front end back dow to road level.

GALE042404C.jpg

The next photos show the rig suspended in mid air so we could shift it back toward me.

This had to be done to clear the outrigger on the tator.

GALE042404D.jpg

GALE042404E.jpg

Once we had enough clearance we began uprighting.

GALE042404F.jpg

In the following picture I am supporting the tail at an angle with both lines while

we boom up and in with the rotator to bring it away from the embankment.

GALE042404G.jpg

All that was left was for me to lower it back down to a level position. The damage

was surprising less than we expected to see once it was wheels down.

GALE042404H.jpg

The incredible value of a Rotator was demonstrated in this particular recovery. The

cooperation between competing towers is the norm in my area and still surprises

local law enforcement officers. I even got an invitation to stop by and learn all the

ins and outs of the wireless proportional controls of the rotator in case I ever need

it when the owner isnt available to operate it. How many towers would do that????

Note: the power and telephone lines are not even as close as they appear in the photos

ibuytoys said:

Excellent plan of attack and teamwork!!!

Heffy004 said:

Excellent job, Gale. Great pics's.

Nice 40 Ton 'tator, in the pic, also.

Great to see 2 companies working a wreck.

Catch ya later & C'ya

HEFFY

pttowguy said:

Great job Gale and thanks for sharing it with us. I am envious of your great working relationship with your competition. I do believe everyone benefits when we work together.

Myerssig.png.bfa877f5202d4b9caad5b07810a052a0.png

Letsplay2 said:

That is a very nice job Gale.

Not too many towing companies would allow another firm to operate their truck when the owner is away. That is some great confidence the owner has in you and your company.

Those proportional controls are awesome. I love to play with them.

Devin

DrHook541 said:

Great presentation, Gale!!
Who is taking the photos for you. I noticed you in the shots on this and the collapsed bridge recovery.
Cooperation amongst towing companies must be a Pacific Northwest phenomenon ... ain't it wonderful.

datowmansaid:

nice job gale. great to see companies that work together out there.Stay Safe
John

Before criticizing someone try walking a mile in their shoes...... because then you'll be a mile away and wearing their shoes.

b7e004c32af5916363fbf5de40c03e82ddcf93c6

Gale25yrs said:

My Father is taking the pictures during the recovery. He has been a camera buff since the Korean war and is very good at it. Between the two of us we took over 50 pictures, I just chose enough to show the story. Too bad I cant post the video.

Letsplay2 said:

What about posting a link to the video?

Devin

trucker jeff said:

Gail, that was a very interesting recovery and very nice pics . Great job as always.

Gale25yrs said:

The video is 8mm from dads camcorder. I learned the tape ran out just as we went to upright the unit. I havent seen it yet.

Letsplay2 said:

I am sure our Dr. could do something with his voodoo magic.. I hope.

Devin

DW Carter said:

Nice work. DW Carter WM92343

Timco said:

Wow! I am always fascinated watching you guys work heavies. I am just a lowly LD man myself....looks great. Tim

jerrys garage said:

Nice job, that's the way things should go.

Jim Nichols said:

that is great to see people work together, would be nice to see around here. but not likely. nice job gale, and thanks for sharing those great pics with us.

TBAUTOMAN said:

We don't see many rear discharge mixers around us any more, so I have a question, whats the dolley in the back for ? Looks like a fresh paint job, to bad for the company. Nice job Gale

Gale25yrs said:

The truck is a 93. that axle is a fold down rear booster. Almost all the mixers here are rear discharge.