Quantcast
  • Join the TowForce community.

It looks like you're not logged in. Register to get started and to receive Tower Down Notices.

NYC Tow truck driver grazed by bullet in Queens

TowZone

Tow truck driver grazed in head by gunman after booting car in Queens

A gunman opened fire at a tow truck driver booting a car in Queens early Thursday, grazing the victim in the head, officials said.

The 42-year-old tow truck operator had just booted a 2007 Acura parked near Tioga Drive and Mexico St. in St. Albans and was sitting in his truck with a city marshal when shots rang out about 12:50 a.m., cops said.

A bullet grazed the tow truck driver in the head but the marshal was not harmed.

Medics took the bleeding tow truck operator to an area hospital.

The gunman ran off and has not been caught.

Cops are investigating if the shooting is linked to the car that had just been booted.

RESOURCE LINK

‘Stance, aim and shot’:

NYC tow truck driver recounts brush with death as cops hunt for Queens shooter

A tow truck driver, after dodging a literal bullet to the head on a Queens street, recalled the would-be killer’s calm demeanor as he squeezed the trigger.

“I saw him getting ready, looking at me,” said Frank Tedesco, 42, his head still wrapped in a bandage hours after his Thursday brush with mortality. “Doing his stance. Getting his gun. Stance, aim and shot. He was out there to kill us.”

Tedesco took 10 stitches after the 12:50 a.m. Thursday shooting as he prepared to boot the parked car of a scofflaw owner who owed fines to the city Department of Finance, cops said.

The hunt for the shooter continued Friday, with Tedesco still suffering headaches as he recovered from the near miss.

Tedesco, with two decades on the job, said he and an accompanying city marshal were spared only by a moment of hesitation by their would-be assassin before the man fired three times.

“He gave me enough seconds where me and the marshal ducked,” he recounted while recovering at his Long Island home. “He didn’t say a word — just started shooting, and walked away like it never happened.”

The shooter fled into the early morning darkness in the typically sleepy St. Albans neighborhood. Tedesco recalled that the first bullet missed, the second one grazed his head, and the third one went wide as well. He was taken to Jamaica Hospital, where he was treated and send home.

Police were investigating whether the shooting was linked to the booting of the 2007 Acura or just a random act of violence. The city boots the cars of scofflaws to force payment from the owners, with the device removed once the debt is paid.

“I’m lucky I’m alive,” said Tedesco. “I’ve been doing this for over 20 years. You prepare for it. You just don’t ignore it. So your eyes are always open. Thank God my eyes were open (Thursday).”

According to Tedesco, the shooter — described by one local resident as clad in nothing but his underwear — opened fire before he could exit a van and slap the boot on one of the Acura’s tires. The 63-year-old marshal escaped injury.

Tedesco acknowledged he was worried about returning to the job. “It makes me nervous to go back to work,” he said. “But we have to make a living, so there’s nothing you can do.”

Tedesco said the shooter would have fared better with a kind word than a bullet.

“If it was that guy’s car, he could’ve just come up to us, to talk to us,” he said. “We are not animals. We are not heartless ... There is no reason to do this.”

RESOURCE LINK