Quantcast
  • Join the TowForce community.

It looks like you're not logged in. Register to get started and to receive Tower Down Notices.

Tow Truck Drivers Rolling Blockade

TowNews

Tow truck drivers plan rolling blockade during Tuesday evening Highway 417 commute

Angry tow truck drivers vowed to stage a slow-rolling blockade on Highway 417 westbound during Tuesday’s afternoon commute to protest what they say is unfair treatment by the Ontario Provincial Police.

Organizer Randy May promised that dozens of drivers would join the protest, but by 4 p.m. only five trucks and their drivers had gathered at a parking lot at Brewer Park. May said the convoy would move west on the 417 from Bronson to the March Road OPP detachment.

“We know people are trying to get home and we don’t want to ruin anyone’s day, but this is about being treated fairly,” May said

The drivers complain that the OPP has favoured just two towing companies — Response and Canadian — for accident calls on Highway 417 and has refused to let any other company do business.

May said the OPP is supposed to use a list of companies that are called in sequence to ensure all tow truck drivers have an equal shot at the business. Unlike the City of Ottawa, which contracts its towing work to Metro, the OPP has no contract with a particular company.

“What’s happening is not fair,” said Asaad Mansour, a driver with True Towing. “They tell us that we need to be on the list, but they don’t tell us how we can get on it. I don’t even believe there is a list.”

Typically, tow truck drivers park near the 417 at peak traffic periods and either monitor police scanners or phone apps to hear if there is a call where a tow truck is needed, or depend on friends to alert them.

Mansour says he’s arrived at scenes only to be told to leave by the OPP.

“The contract is supposed to be between me and the customer. The police shouldn’t have anything to do with that,” he said.

Tows on Highway 417 used to make up about half of his income, he said.

“Now it’s zero,” he said.

Calls to the OPP’s March Road detachment were not returned.

RESOURCE LINK

This topic has been covered many times in contract negotiations, in magazine articles and on this Forum. Contracts are no longer kept with the same tow companies who have served for many years, or for towers who are seeking to be on a list. There should be no entitlement as to whether or not a tow company can, will, or should remain on a rotation list, or be entitled to a place on a list. The agency's head, director, Chief or Sheriff can determine and enforce the details of the tow contract to fit the needs of their agency. And, possibly the best narrative ever written (on this topic) was by industry attorney, Mr. Michael McGovern, in a, February 2009 article, in Tow Times Magazine entitled, "The "Point To" Test. In part Mr. McGovern writes, ... "if there is no state law or contract granting a legal entitlement, what is the nature of the interest a tow operator has in a place on a rotation list? I don;t know how it is in Canada, but that's somewhat the way here in the US. Being accepted on a tow list is merely a privilege that can be given or taken away, usually at the reasonably-exercised discretion of the government entity or law enforcement agency. Perhaps Tow Times Magazine can re-post that article here, or, Mr. May could contact Mr. McGovern to see what kind of battle they're up against. Unfortunately, when it comes to what's fair or unfair, I don't believe there's anything that requires the OPP accept all tow operators to be on a list, especially in the best interests of public safety. I'm not taking sides here and I support the tower's right to challenge the OPP. I'm simply telling it like the reality it is and I hope that your peaceful demonstration bears fruit.     R.

Randall C. Resch

Tow truck drivers call off rolling blockade during Tuesday evening Highway 417 commute.

Angry tow truck drivers called off a planned slow-rolling blockade on Highway 417 during Tuesday’s afternoon commute after the Ontario Provincial Police promised a meeting to hear their concerns.

About a dozen drivers in 10 tow trucks gathered at Brewer Park Tuesday afternoon, vowing to use their trucks to slow traffic on the westbound 417 to protest what they say is unfair treatment. The drivers say they’re being frozen out of lucrative business by the OPP, which is steering all tows toward two companies.

Organizer Randy May had promised that dozens of drivers would join the protest as it crept its way along the 417 from Bronson Avenue to the OPP detachment on March Road.

“We know people are trying to get home and we don’t want to ruin anyone’s day, but this is about being treated fairly,” May said

The drivers complain that the OPP has favoured just two towing companies — Response and Canadian — for collision calls on Highway 417 and has refused to let any other company do business.

May said the OPP is supposed to use a list of companies that are called in sequence to ensure all tow truck drivers have an equal shot at the business. Unlike the City of Ottawa, which contracts its towing work to Metro, the OPP has no contract with a particular company.

“What’s happening is not fair,” said Asaad Mansour, a driver with True Towing. “They tell us that we need to be on the list, but they don’t tell us how we can get on it. I don’t even believe there is a list.”

Typically, tow truck drivers park near the 417 at peak traffic periods and either monitor police scanners or phone apps to hear if there is a call where a tow truck is needed, or depend on friends to alert them.

Mansour says he’s arrived at scenes, sometimes called by one of the drivers involved, only to be told to leave by the OPP.

“The contract is supposed to be between me and the customer. The police shouldn’t have anything to do with that,” he said.

Tows on Highway 417 used to make up about half of his income, he said.

“Now it’s zero.”

In some cases, the drivers say they’ve been ticketed for obstructing traffic or other Highway Traffic Offences.

In response to the blockade threat, the OPP sent two members of its Provincial Liaison Team, negotiators trained to mediate labour disputes. The OPP and two Ottawa officers stood int the rain for an hour during the afternoon rush hour listening to the drivers’ complaints.

“Our job was to get out here and to be fair and respectful,” said OPP Sgt. Diana Hampson of the liaison team. “I realize that there are two sides to the story, but sometimes what people want most is to be heard.”

After hearing the drivers’ concerns, Sampson agreed to set up a meeting with OPP traffic supervisors to see if a solution can be found.

“Our concern was for the travelling public and safety,” Hampson said. “These poor Ottawa commuters. With the LRT problems, these poor people just want to get home.”

RESOURCE LINK

Good Morning Guys ... it's been more than a weeks since the announced rolling blockade made the news. Has there been any negotiation on the part of Ottawa's tow companies and the OPP? Has OPP Sgt. Diana Hampson lived-up to her words to hear your concerns?  What's next?      R.

Randall C. Resch

I've been following Ontario's story of alleged denial where tower's are being left out of the contract process. From afar, I have no idea as to the problems going on there, but a recent news report that includes tow companies near Waterloo reported that several tow truck companies were violating the current tow regulations or restrictions. The news reported that several tow companies were cited, and or had their wreckers impounded. Regardless as to what the issues are being claimed, some tow companies (like those involved in the recent enforcement) aren't making your cause any stronger. It's because of those actions, the OPP may be reluctant to make changes if changes are to be made. I feel bad for tow companies that want to be contracted by the OPP, but current actions of non-abiding towers continue to earn whatever current acceptance there is or isn't.

https://www.kitchenertoday.com/police-beat/three-tow-truck-drivers-charged-with-getting-too-close-to-crash-scene-1779818

Randall C. Resch