Quantcast
  • Join the TowForce community.

It looks like you're not logged in. Register to get started and to receive Tower Down Notices.

Had to pay my first damage claim

Tow411

Topic Originally Created by fairway in August of 2008:

Well, I have had bogus claims in the past and they have all been determined to not be my fault. But after 3 years as a AAA contractor, I finally get to pay out for a claim. I got a call to jump start a 2002 Toyota Rav-4 over the weekend. Well Monday morning I was informed that I cracked her windshield, today the field rep looked at the damage and said it appears that the crack originated from the battery area. So I get to lay out $316.00 for a new windshield, for a jumpstart that I got less than $25 for. Fun, fun, fun.

EdsTowing said:

Is there any chance that you could of done the crack? That seems like a stretch to me....

fairway said:

It wasn't cracked when i left. She did take it to a shop and had a new battery installed, but insisted that is was cracked before she took it for the new battery.

EdsTowing said:

That's a tough call Al. There have been times where I thought that "some battles aren't worth the fight"...This is screwy deal though. The shame of it is...the shop probably said it was like that when it came in.... Was the member there when you were doing the job?

It's a judgement call at best. Good luck with your decision.

Auto Rescue said:

I'm sorry but for the life of me as many things as I could see being blamed on a jump start a windshield is not one of them unless a huge gust of wind came along just as I opened the hood and if the windshield did get cracked by it we'd both have known about it at the time it happened.

Wally868 said:

I would have her prove your driver done it. That does seem like a bogus claim. I know here locally ( cincinnati ) AAA does not stand behind their contractors and the customer is always right. We have paid out some claims that we should not have paid but they told us either pay it or we will deduct it from your check. It is really aggrivating but we continue to run for them. Why ??? I do not know. Good luck
Wallace (wally) Patrick
Airport Towing
Erlanger,Ky 41018
859-491-7510 Office

Wreckmaster # 050694   

fairway said:

I did this jumpstart myself. The battery is against the firewall. The windshield was not cracked when I left. The field rep emailed me pics and the windshield is completely cracked from one side to the other in two places. I understand what you are saying Ed about "some battles aren't worth the fight". Anyway, I have two choices, either pay the $316.00 or AAA will submit it to my insurance.

WreckMan0920 said:

i had an auto club try the same thing, said we damaged something, we said otherwise, well about a week later I got a call from my insurance man and he tells me that this auto club tryed to submit a claim back door style, i told my insurance guy what happend he said hell no i dont think so, he refused the claim sent it to our investigation team a month later they said no go and refused to pay, that was 4 months ago,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, maybe let it go to your insurance and see what happens.............. good luck

Mr P1nk said:

How did they determine you cracked the windshield jump starting the car?

fairway said:

The battery is against the firewall with a black plastic cover over the battery. They say I must of pressed a pressure point on the glass and when she moved the vehicle the windshield cracked.

Wally868 said:

Still sounds bogus to me. I do agree with letting the insurance company handle it because if there is a way to prove you did not do it they will find it ....
Wallace (wally) Patrick
Airport Towing
Erlanger,Ky 41018
859-491-7510 Office

Wreckmaster # 050694   

TOWME2 said:

You might as well pay for it and get it behind , so AAA does not just suck it up from your weekly pay check . I know how these things work sometimes. GOOD LUCK

Ken Nichols said:

Not doing 3a myself. Does their contract give them sole discretion in these maters or can an independent third part make this call? Why did you get blamed if another shop also worked in this same area on the car?

EdsTowing said:

Al, Was this a NE Penn call? I don't want to stick my nose in your business but I would be happy to give them some "input" on the matter. I have a pretty good relationship with them and seem to be able to get things done. It's bogus in my eyes....If the glass was that fragile, she should thank you for showing a flaw in their vehicle.

Let me know.

fairway said:

I really appreciate it Ed, but it is Central Penn. (I'm in Lancaster County). I believe NE Penn is a separate club. I'll email you the pics if you'd like to see them. Thanks. Al

Concord Towing said:

Sounds bogus to me.I say fight it or the next time a 3A member complains on you they will say it was your fault.Stand up against them make them PROVE to you how it could happen.Your ins co adjuster will probably say no pay today.

OCTOWMAN said:

I personally installed a battery in a 03 rav4 today. i looked it over good because of your post. there is no way to break the windshield by jumpstarting the vehicle. does the crack start near one of the clips that hold the plastic cowl on? if it does the crack came from someone trying to remove the clips the wrong way by prying them out. you have to turn the center 90 degrees and then lift the center halfway out, the outside of the clip stays in the panel. it is attached. if the new clips dont match the old ones, I would lay money on it.

Tim
the opinions expressed here are mine. I own the company so they apply to the company also.

fairway said:

It was already missing some clips before I touched it. I used a screwdriver to turn the center of the clips and then I removed the cover by hand. The pics that were emailed to me by AAA show the crack starting at the center of one of the top clips, but that clip is missing now, not sure if it was there when I jumped it or not. It is not the first Rav-4 that I have ever jumped, so I knew how those clips worked, I didn't force anything with this at all.