Quantcast
  • Join the TowForce community.

It looks like you're not logged in. Register to get started and to receive Tower Down Notices.

Are you allowed to

Tow411

Topic Originally Created by ROLAND in October of 2008:

make u-turns on the interstates? If you are on AAA call and see the car in the south bound lane and your headed north would you make the u-turn to save the auto club the extra miles or would you go to the next exit? Or would you make the turn and still charge the extra mileage? This would also apply after you pick up the car. I would think making a u-turn is a extra liability and be your choice and not the auto club's............Roland

towgodness said:
The fine for crossing the center divide here is very painful. The only time we even consider crossing is if we are responding to an accident and CHP permits it.
Most of the freeways have k-rails or barriers of some sort anyway.
To cross for AAA would never be likely to happen, they don't papy enough for us to take extra risks.

Auto Rescue said:
I hate to burst your bubble but 3A will not pay you for the extra miles to the next exit and back and I don't care what state your in you better be darn careful if you elect to make a U turn on the interstate for any reason because the consequences are going to fall on your shoulders and that of your company if something goes wrong regardless of how good a reason you think you have to do it.

EdsTowing said:
We can use crossovers when needed. I do get paid to the exit, or in other words whatever in route & loaded miles that I see fit. They have never deducted mileage from us before.

unknown member said:
Same goes for us we get paid to the next exit loaded and unloaded..
I will never tell my drivers to use them but as everyone here knows you cant control what there doing out there,
just hope they listen to everything you say...

ROLAND said:
It was only a question. We are allowed to cross over as well. In my 33 years I have done so many times. I will say that we don't have any where as much traffic as some states do. I was only asking to see if anyone was risking there life for the auto clubs............Roland

cjeswald said:
we make u-turns when needed, but if traffic is too heavy it is advised to go to next exit, also depends on what you are trying to u-turn in and if you are loaded

b81cc9fbeb3abffdf8935b1c23c1b25ca91b5a4f

Auto Rescue said:
So maybe then my bubbles is burst if some of you are getting reimbursed for it, I'll never say my closet interstate is almost 200 miles away, but I still don't think it's prudent to do U turns on the interstate which is not to say I would not entertain the thought if the situation presented itself but then I also stick by my theory that the consequences fall on you and your company if something goes wrong so it really better be worthwhile if you do.

Gigarange said:
would never for a motorclub call empty, nevermind loaded. Just simply for the saftey factor.

If the location description is for example NB Hwy 1 North of Exit 110 and the customer ends up being SB Hwy 1 North of Exit 110 then we get paid enroute milage even if we're still within our service area to get to where the customer actually is.

Even if we didn't, I still wouldn't.

I have gone thru a cross over on the highway once or twice, it was for a situation along the lines of, I was leaving the NB lanes which were at a standstill (not going to have someone comming up behind me as I slow down) to enter the SB lanes at PD approval who had the SB lanes stopped to allow quicker responce to an accident in the NB lanes.

Would never happen for a simple breakdown or without PD doing traffic control in the area.

AIKTOW4U said:
I even have permission from state police for the use of the turn around so long as I use my lightbar to notify oncoming traffic. I think even with permission or authorization, it is safer to go to the next exit. I try that approach unless traffic is messed up due to the rubber-neckers or such, in that case I u-turn and watch my a$$ doing so. Sometimes I have been directed to cut accross the median even.

DMHANDSONWRECKER said:
we have a span on our turnpike that has a 30 mile span no exits, so yes we have to use the cross overs,mc wont pay 60 miles round for a 5 mile call.

Jerel said:
we use them around are area if traffic permits us....if traffic is very heavy then I try not to use them. depending on the call. If it is for a P.D. call then i will but not very often for M.C. calls unless it is evening time when traffic is very light..