Quantcast
  • Join the TowForce community.

It looks like you're not logged in. Register to get started and to receive Tower Down Notices.

Fishing boat deep sixed...

TowZone

10-20-05: Ibuytoys Wrote,

We worked this salvage operation today with the rotator. At first a boom truck was called in to lift this hulk out of the water but aborted the mission when his overload alarms started blaring. It was about 40 ft. long, 11 ft. wide, and a very rough estimated weight of 20k lbs.. The engine, transmission, driveshaft, prop, and a bunch of concrete ballast blocks were still attached to the keel. here's a link to the story and some pictures of it after it was on the dock. I'm getting some action shots that were taken by the boom truck operator later, hopefully sooner than later.

ibuytoys2005AA.md.jpg ibuytoys2005AB.md.jpg ibuytoys2005AC.md.jpg ibuytoys2005AD.md.jpg ibuytoys2005AE.md.jpg ibuytoys2005AF.md.jpg

Mr Waialae Chevron said,

Yeah...and us lucky taxpayers get to pay for the clean up...of course, the guy had no insurance.

Here I thought the problem of uninsured was only motorists...come to find out it applies to boaters too!

There was another one close by Kenny's one too. Here's the link. Story is about a third of the way down on left side of page. Same issue, no insurance. What are the odds of two uninsured boaters beaching themselves within a week of each other?

Towing4u said:

who pays on a boat with no insurance, game wardens or coast guard or what?

Ibuytoys said:

The State of Hawaii pays for the cleanup and they go after the owner of the vessel. It's good because the contractor is guaranteed payment, but bad in the sense that it's coming out of the taxpayers pockets anyway.

I can't believe that boat owners aren't required to have insurance.Hawaii's only Sliding.

Ed Barker said:
Just how long was that boat under water? looks like you all did a fine job

Ibuytoys said:
Thanks, The boat grounded on the rocks near John Dominis restaurant and the State waited for the boat's owner to take responsibility for the salvage operations. The boat had no insurance and the owner didn't do anything for 3-4 days if I remember correctly. All that time the waves were constantly pounding the boat on the rocks and it started to break up. The State finally stepped in and hired a contractor to remove the fuel and oil from the vessel. The same contractor also got the job to remove the vessel from the shoreline. By that time the boat had really broken up and they were removing it piece by piece. The keel section was dragged off the rocks, into deeper water and back into the harbor so it could be lifted onto the dock and cut up. We got called out to do the lift after an attempt with a boomtruck didn't work. The NRC sliding rotator makes weird jobs like this a piece of cake.

Archived