Quantcast
  • Join the TowForce community.

It looks like you're not logged in. Register to get started and to receive Tower Down Notices.

Fraudulent damage claim

Tow411

Topic Orginally Created byonsiteautoandtruckrepair in December of 2016:

So some lady calls me 5 days after we move this S500 benz for the evil empire "agero" complaining we scraped her bumper while loading it. I kept it professional, asked her to email me pictures, which she did. The pictures were taking while the car was on my truck and 3ft off the ground, and she ways 5 days to say something. She only sends me the passenger side of the bumper and when you zoom in, you see yellow paint and very deep scratches. Obviously, parking pylon or curb. Car was loaded backwards and boarded in her driveway which is freshly sealed and black. I ask to see pictures of the entire bumper and she sends me pictures of gelcoat cracking underneath the paint and very faint scratches  that would not happen when loading. I get cautious this time of year because people are out to make a couple bucks for holiday shopping.

I don't want to go through insurance because I am at my 3 years mark with a clean record and trying to switch to another company. I also don't want to pay her anything out of pocket because I know we did not do the damage.

I write down everything before I confront people about these situations and this is what I plan on saying:

Those scratches were not done by my tow truck.

1) The first set of pictures you sent me show yellow paint in the scratches ( yellow parking pylon, curb with yellow paint). Your driveway is black and sealed, The deck on my truck is black. Where did the paint come from?
2) When a car that sits low to the ground is winched up a flatbed and the bottom bumper is scraped it, scratches would be consistent across the front of the bumper. The cars go up evenly. On your case its only the passenger side most likely coming in at an angle to a parking spot.

3) The second set of photos contain cracking of the gel coat that Mercedes Benz and all manufacturers use on plastic and fiberglass bumpers prior to paint. The few small scratches that you do see are coming from a totally different angle. The car was winched up backwards not sideways like the pictures depict.

We take claims like this seriously. We are a reputable company and stand by our service, unfortunately , the damage is pre-existing.

Someone please chime in.I want to post the pictures on here, but gave up trying.

doingitall r54_1559570275.gif said:

I would like to assume you have before and after pictures. If so,those will save you. Was the customer not present when loading? Did the bumper scrape or touch loading or unloading? Did you have to use ramps or blocking to prevent the bumper touching? I have never had an issue with a Mercedes needing any blocking or ramping, and never have had one with a bumper that touched loading or unloading. That said there are certainly circumstances where you would need to use ramps or blocks.

On what you wrote: part 1) Good. part 2) I would delete this completely. A professional never would allow the bumper to scrape at all. part 3)I would add the the cracking of the gel coat/clear coat demonstrates an impact and that there was no possible impact loading and unloading the vehicle. I would further add that the evidence of an impact is in no way related to the loading and unloading of her vehicle, and you would happily demonstrate that to her. Then I would add that if the damage did not exist prior to towing, she will need to talk with the dealer/servicing shop and find where the paint transfer came from to identify where and when the damage occurred. Last, I would not say "unfortunately". I would point out that by her own description and pictures that the damage she described was not possible while in your care/custody/control. I would either provide pictures proving that the damage existed prior to towing, or provide pictures of the vehicle delivered showing the lack of damage after unloading.

Again, if you have before and after pictures, just tell the customer that you have them, and that they show the vehicle in the same condition before and after the tow. Offer to demonstrate loading and unloading if she wishes, and ask when and where during the process the damage occurred. Between pictures, and a few that demanded a demonstration, I have never paid out a false claim. I have however paid a few when I did do damage, and if there is a chance you are in any way responsible, just take care of it!

In Memory of NationalAutow who said:

You can also request that if they continue the claim, put it in writing. Offer to do it for them. Include language that taks about knowing filing a false insurance or damage claim and how it can be a felony with XX years in prison.

Occasionally we get an impound customer (usually was driving an 88 Gran Prix or other extremely valuable vehicle) claim they left their lottery winnings (usually in the thousands) in their car. They even act surprised when it isn't there and ask what we are going to do about it since it is our responsibility (NOT).

We tell them we are not doing anything. If they continue we direct them to a local police station and tell them to come back with the report number and we will investigate.\

We are still waiting on the first one to come back with that report number.

and tell them to file a report and bring us the report number back and we will conduct an investigation.