Quantcast
  • Join the TowForce community.

It looks like you're not logged in. Register to get started and to receive Tower Down Notices.

Tow Truck Driver Escapes Close Call (SD)

TowZone

A Sioux Falls tow truck driver had frightening ordeal Tuesday on the interstate. 

It happened just north of the Dell Rapids exit on Interstate 29 around 10 a.m., when a routine call to pull a truck out of the ditch, turned out to be anything but routine. 

When the lights are flashing, no one should be dashing; especially when the roads are slippery like they were Tuesday morning. 

That's the message from Todd Munion, who drives for A Plus Towing, after he was nearly hit by another vehicle while on a service call on Interstate 29. 

"I just heard tires, a different sound of tires on the road, when I looked up he was doing 360's on his way towards me," Munion said. 

Munion says even though he was on the shoulder of the interstate and his lights were flashing, the driver of the northbound pickup didn't slow down and lost control.

Munion says he was able to jump out of the way in the knick of time before the pickup slammed into his truck causing extensive damage. 

"I was just thinking, just making sure everyone was okay," Munion said.  

The pickup hit Munion's truck so hard, it snapped the tow truck's cable that can withstand 7,000 pounds of weight. 

Thursday, after looking at the damage, Munion says he's thankful no one was seriously injured or killed. 

"Definitely feel lucky, my family was glad I was able to make it home yesterday," Munion said. 

And he wants this crash to be a visual reminder for anyone who drives. 

"You see some flashing lights on the side of the road, slow down and move over it is the law, definitely could be life saving," Munion said. 

As we said the driver of the other pickup was also okay.  Get this, despite all the damage to Munion's tow truck, he was still able to get the pickup out of the ditch and towed it back to Sioux Falls.

Munion says he'd like to see the highway patrol conduct a 'flashing lights' sting to see how many drivers don't obey the law. 

RESOURCE LINK with video

Archived