Quantcast
  • Join the TowForce community.

It looks like you're not logged in. Register to get started and to receive Tower Down Notices.

Model B with the 750

Turbo4whl

scan0213.jpg

I found a picture of the company's 1959 Mack with a Holmes 750. This was a single screw chassis with a bag axle added in the rear.  I started work for the company in 1971 and they were still running this unit. As just a helper they didn't want us towing but the mechanic would usually take a helper with them. Since I actually helped on the job I got picked a lot to go on tow jobs. Some of the mechanics would let me drive out to the down unit. The Mack had a gasoline engine, air assist steering and two transmissions as most Mack Model B's.

Later in the mid 70's the Holmes 750 was remounted on a low mileage twin screw 1971 Autocar, (former tractor). This Autocar with the 750 is what I towed a lot with from the late 70's until the mid 90's when it was replaced with a Vulcan mounted on a Peterbilt. Through cutbacks I hardly ever got to take a helper with me. Still hunting for a picture of the Autocar.

Wayne

Archived