Quantcast
  • Join the TowForce community.

It looks like you're not logged in. Register to get started and to receive Tower Down Notices.

Tow truck hits, kills homeless pedestrian (pa)

TowZone

BARTONSVILLE, MONROE COUNTY (WBRE/WYOU) - The day after Christmas, a pedestrian is dead following a crash Tuesday morning. Authorities say a tow truck hit and killed a homeless man as he walked on a busy road.

When Billi Jo Lojewski drove down Route 611 in Bartonsville, she knew something wasn't right. She explains, "I saw all the cops, like all the cars, and there was stuff like all over the road."

A mangled cart and lose belongings were scattered near the intersection. The Coroner says the items belonged to a homeless man who was hit and killed around 8:00 Tuesday morning.

"It's so sad, it's so sad," Lojewski adds.

According to Stroud Area Regional Police, the driver of a tow truck was trying to make a right turn onto Route 33. Authorities say he was blinded by the sun and hit the pedestrian, who was walking in a turning lane.

"This gentlemen who was laying there in the front of the large tow truck had been walking on the berm of the road," says Monroe County Coroner Bob Allen.

Traffic was backed up as police photographed and reconstructed the scene. About four hours later, crews started cleaning up the victim's belongings.

"I mean, I've seen some people walking on the side of the road every once in awhile," says Jax Zangakis of Reeders.

There's no word if charges will be filed. Authorities have not released names of the victim or driver.

The Coroner says the victim died on Route 611. An autopsy is scheduled for Wednesday morning.

The truck involved is from 'Steele Towing and Transport' based in Pittston. Eyewitness News reached out to the business for comment but we have not heard back.

RESOURCE LINK

Archived