Quantcast
  • Join the TowForce community.

It looks like you're not logged in. Register to get started and to receive Tower Down Notices.

Tow Companies Urge "Move Over Law"

Tow companies in the lake area advise drivers to follow “Move Over Law” after Lafayette tow operator dies in crash

LAKE CHARLES, La. (KPLC) - A tragic accident occurred on I-49 in St. Landry parish as a Lafayette tow truck operator died while helping someone fix a flat.

It happened on Wednesday and also claimed the life of the driver who needed help.

The incident has raised concern for tow companies who rely on the “Move Over Law” to help protect them.

“Too many distracted drivers going around and especially with us on the side of the highway they don’t respect our lights pretty much it happens a lot and they blow by us all the time,” Bayou Wrecker & Towing, tow truck operator Derek Lenkowski said.

Lenkowski has been a tow truck driver for 10 years he says the job is high-risk.

“It’s always dangerous especially when you’re on the side of the interstate because you never know what’s going to happen,” Lenkowski said.

“The Move Over Law” in Louisiana states that drivers must change lanes when approaching stationary vehicles displaying flashing lights if you can’t move over you have to slow down to a reasonably safe speed.

Johnny Lafleur is also a tow operator for Bayou Towing he believes some changes need to be made to prevent these accidents from happening.

“Maybe while we’re just hooking up and not moving maybe have some blue lights out that would definitely get their attention,” Lafleur said.

Being a tow truck driver it’s almost guaranteed that you’ll have some close calls.

“They had crashed and hit the center wall and they were coming towards me and that guy I had to take him and get to the other side of the truck to get away from it,” Lenkowski said.

LaFleur knows that each time he gets called out his life is at stake.

“If everybody could just move over for us we can get out of there without worrying about trying to get hit i want to come home at the end of the night you know,” LaFleur said.

RESOURCE LINK with news video

• Like 1