Quantcast
  • Join the TowForce community.

It looks like you're not logged in. Register to get started and to receive Tower Down Notices.

Good Samaritan hospitalized after helping stranded driver (CO)

TowForce

AURORA, Colo. (KDVR) — A good Samaritan is recovering in the hospital after helping a stranded driver. He became a victim himself after he was involved in a three-vehicle crash in Aurora.

Colorado State Patrol said he was hit by a careless driver while standing outside his vehicle. The situation unfolded around 11:30 p.m. on Feb. 8 near South Parker Road and Hampden Avenue.

Before then, it was a typical night for Christopher Pedroza.

“Coming under the bridge, I seen hazard lights,” he said. “So I was like, I’m just going to pull over to see if he needs any help.”

The man he stopped to help told him his phone died, he ran out of gas and he was awaiting a tow truck.

“I was like, ‘Honestly, they might not come, dude. I have gas in the back if it’s only gas that you ran out. I can help.'”

After he poured the gas, he waited to see if the driver was fine before pulling off.

“At that time, I see a car come, and it kind of swerved a little bit, but still stayed in his lane and kept going straight,” Pedroza said.

Right behind that driver came a truck.

“Just plowed into the back of my car,” Pedroza said. “Pushing it about a car and a half length and then pinned me between the hood of my car and the back of his vehicle.”

The same man Pedroza stopped to help now had to help him.

“He grabbed me from the side of my clothes and pulled me from getting unpinned,” he said. “Definitely one of the scariest events that happened in my life.”

People who watched the crash happen in real time called first responders.

“I can still picture the light shining from the car from the pick-up coming and the sound of the truck buckling, trying to stop before it hit

Pedroza told FOX31 that the man whom he stopped to help has been supportive. He has checked on him multiple times at the hospital as he recovers.

Colorado State Patrol said a 44-year-old man from Aurora was cited on counts of careless driving causing body injury. They say alcohol was not suspected.

my car. It was scary,” Pedroza said.

Pedroza has now spent almost two weeks at The Medical Center of Aurora, causing him to miss time at work. He’s suffering from broken bones, gashes, bruises and minor fractures.

In the meantime, Pedroza has set up a GoFundMe to cover medical costs.

“Just never thought I would be in an accident or anything like this just because I reached out and helped out someone,” Pedroza said.

RESOURCE LINK