Quantcast
  • Join the TowForce community.

It looks like you're not logged in. Register to get started and to receive Tower Down Notices.

Man injured in shooting near Georgia Gwinnett College in Lawrenceville (GA) "Updated 02.07.24"

TowForce

AA1jwGEn.jpg

AWRENCEVILLE, Ga. (Atlanta News First) - A shooting near a metro Atlanta college forced a soft lockdown of the campus Tuesday morning.

Georgia Gwinnett College in Lawrenceville posted on social media at 5:26 a.m. that it issued a soft lockdown due to a possible shooter near the campus. An alert was also sent out to students. The school advised those in the area at the time to find a safe place.

“A soft lockdown means we lock up the buildings and we allow people to move around inside of the buildings, but we don’t want them going in and out of the buildings. We also close the campus, so visitors don’t try to come onto campus,” said Terrance Schneider, chief of police.

The school lifted the lockdown just after 7 a.m., saying, “All clear. Campus is open. Shooting occurred at Charter Club neighborhood suspects did not enter main campus.”

An Atlanta News First crew found an active shooting investigation at 100 Country Side Place. They reported seeing a crashed tow truck and evidence markers on the ground.

Lawrenceville police are investigating the shooting and say the victim is a 35-year-old man who is not associated with Georgia Gwinnett College. He is currently receiving treatment for his non-life-threatening injuries.

More details released in Tuesday morning Lawrenceville shooting

The Lawrenceville Police Department released more details Tuesday afternoon following a shooting early Tuesday morning which led to a soft lockdown of Georgia Gwinnett College.

The agency said in a release Lawrenceville Police received a 911 call at about 3:30 a.m. about gunshots being heard in the area of Countryside Place near Collins Hill Road. While responding to the area. the department received another 911 call from a relative of the shooting victim stating they were on their way to a nearby hospital to receive treatment. 

Lawrenceville Police Officers met with the victim and the relative at the hospital to gather more information.

The investigation revealed the victim was driving a tow truck in the area when the occupants of a dark sedan started shooting at him. The suspect vehicle fled the scene after the shooting.

The victim, a 35-year-old man, suffered at least one gunshot wound and was able to run away from the scene. The victim was picked up by a relative and transported to a local hospital where he was being treated for non-life-threatening injuries. The victim is a resident of the area and has no connections to Georgia Gwinnett College.

"Our Detectives are following up on leads and have determined that this is an isolated incident where the victim was potentially targeted," the release said.

Anyone who might have witnessed this incident or who may have any other information is asked to contact Lawrenceville Police Detective Sergeant Pauly at 770-670-5110 or by emailing her at DPauly@LawrencevillePD.com.

Original story published Tuesday at 10:20 a.m.:

A victim suffered non-life-threatening injuries Tuesday morning during a shooting incident near Georgia Gwinnett College in Lawrenceville.

Lawrenceville Police Department Captain Salvador Ortega said a 35-year-old victim was receiving treatment following the shooting at the Charter Club neighborhood.

Ortega said additional details would be released shortly.

Georgia Gwinnett College entered a soft lockdown for over an hour in response to the shooting. Those involved in the incident were never present on the Georgia Gwinnett College campus.

Additionally, Ortega said the victim was not associated with Georgia Gwinnett College.

Teenager charged with shooting tow truck driver near metro Atlanta college

ddea2e98370b1737d20aa20dd93421a1.jpg

LAWRENCEVILLE, Ga. — A teenager has been arrested and charged with shooting a tow truck driver near Georgia Gwinnett College earlier this week.

Lawrenceville police told Channel 2 Action News that a 35-year-old tow truck driver was shot and suffered non-life-threatening injuries near the college campus on Tuesday morning.

On Friday, police announced that Jamarion Lewis, 18 of Winder, was arrested and charged with aggravated assault and possession of a firearm during the commission of a felony.

Investigators say they responded to reports of gunshots in the area of the college. While they were responding, a relative of the victim called 911 and said they were taking the man to the hospital.

The tow truck driver was shot once and was able to run away before being picked up and taken to the hospital.

Lewis is being held in the Gwinnett County Jail. The victim is still hospitalized and recovering from his injuries.

RESOURCE LINK

• 2 months later...

19-year-old cleared of charges related to shooting of tow truck driver near metro Atlanta college

A 19-year-old who spent nearly a month in the Gwinnett County Jail for a shooting near Georgia Gwinnett College that he denied being a part of for months has now been cleared of all criminal charges.

Jamarion Lewis received a letter in the mail last week that stated the aggravated assault charge he faced after a November shooting has been dropped. He says he maintained his innocence before and after his arrest by Lawrenceville police three days after the shooting that injured a tow truck driver.

“They stated publicly I’m a criminal and a menace and I shot somebody which wasn’t true,” said Lewis.

Lawrenceville police originally charged him with aggravated assault for the shooting on November 7 on Countryside Place. Lewis told them he was at home asleep in Barrow County when the shooting happened. He says he was arrested anyway.

“I was actively trying to get my commercial driver’s license, but when I got arrested all that was on pause,” he said. “Lost my job, lost my car, can’t get my phone back.”

The Winder teen says he let his sister borrow his car in November and she told him she was going out with a friend. The next thing Lewis knew, Lawrenceville police officers were questioning him about why his car was used in a shooting that injured a tow truck driver.

“I told them I was at home,” he said. “I told them my sister had the car and I didn’t know anything else.”

RESOURCE LINK

• TowForce changed the title to Man injured in shooting near Georgia Gwinnett College in Lawrenceville (GA) "Updated 02.07.24"