Quantcast
  • Join the TowForce community.

It looks like you're not logged in. Register to get started and to receive Tower Down Notices.

Repairing leaking hydraulic cylinders

Andy

You need special tools to install the gland seal (eBay). You are NOT getting that seal in without the special tool that essentially folds the seal into a "U" shape". Once you've rebuilt one cylinder, you know how to do it. They are all pretty much the same. Take pictures, and replace like parts for like parts. If you need to slide a seal over the rod and into a groove, use cut up plastic from a milk or oil jug.

Edited by JasonElyriaAuto
  • Like 1

Thanks ive seen the tool in use on videos. Im inclined to attempt the fix myself. 

Im putting the cart before the horse here but several videos ive watched the collar or retaining nut required some serious force to come loose any tips on that if I have issues here. Was thinking dry ice instead of heat? 

There are different types of gland nuts. Some are just retained with a snap ring, some are screw in. If it's screwed in, I would attempt to loosen it while mounted to the truck. I had a cylinder years ago from a large scissors alignment lift that I had to send out..... I had a huge pipe wrench on it and it would not budge. I think that cost me about $350, 12 years ago.