Quantcast
  • Join the TowForce community.

It looks like you're not logged in. Register to get started and to receive Tower Down Notices.

City Wants Ability To Ban Certain Tow Truck Companies

TowZone

Topic Originally Posted by Stevo in July of 2005

ORLANDO, Fla. -- The city of Orlando says too many tow truck companies are overcharging customers and that's why it needs to better regulate the tow truck industry. The city is proposing a new ordinance that can ban certain tow companies from operating in Orlando.For some people, parking at the 7-Eleven on Summerlin in downtown Orlando for a few minutes can be an expensive lesson to learn.

"I went to pick up a shirt at Urban Body and I parked at 7-Eleven and I came back and my car was towed to my surprise," said Prae Santos.

Santos' car was towed by the Tow Truck Company of Orlando. He said he was charged more than $100 for his car being in the lot for less than 24 hours. According to the city of Orlando, tow companies are only supposed to charge $100.

"I wish they would do something. It's pretty unfair and to get towed like that and then, God forbid it goes beyond expiration, then they will charge you more," said Santos.

That's why the city is proposing a new ordinance. There have been numerous complaints about tow companies, ranging from overcharging to access to vehicles and payment options.

"There seems to be different rules and all the rules need to be applied evenly. There seems to be some great operators out there and there are some operators who aren't following the rules," said Frank Billingsly, City Of Orlando.

Orlando wants to have all tow companies operating in the city limits pay for a license to work. Then, if a company violates the rules three times, then the city can revoke that company's license.

The city said, as part of the tow truck ordinance, all of the towing signs would be replaced as well. They want to make sure people know tow areas are strictly enforced 24/7.

The city is currently pursuing legal action against Tow Truck Company of Orlando for overcharging its customers. Tow Truck Company says it only charges customers extra fees if the person does not have the proper paperwork.

The new ordinance will be reviewed next month.Steve

Choice Towing & Recovery
Fredericksburg,Va
If you need help in our area just call...804-586-3343

Archived