Quantcast
  • Join the TowForce community.

It looks like you're not logged in. Register to get started and to receive Tower Down Notices.

Kevin Coffta - I-190S NY State - 04.02.08

TONAWANDA, N.Y. (AP) - A pre-dawn collision on a busy Buffalo-area highway has claimed the life of a tow truck driver.

State police say 28-year-old Kevin Coffta of Clarence Center was standing beside his tow truck on the shoulder of southbound Interstate 190 when he was struck by an SUV around 4:50 this morning.

Troopers say he was preparing to remove an abandoned vehicle from the Niagara Thruway in the town of Tonawanda, just north of Buffalo.

Troopers say the SUV overturned and landed on its roof. Police say the driver -- 64-year-old David Brown of Cheektowaga -- faces charges of -- vehicular manslaughter and driving while intoxicated.

All lanes on southbound I-190 were closed for more than four hours, causing traffic backups during the morning commute.

A tow truck driver just doing his job is killed by an alleged drunk driver. It happened early this morning along the I-190 southbound. An SUV veered onto the right shoulder, side-swiping a disabled car being hooked up to a tow truck. Kevin Cofta, the tow truck driver, was pronounced dead on the scene. The investigation tied up morning traffic for five hours.

This accident has dealt a blow to a lot of people in the tow truck business. Workers say this tragedy shows just how dangerous their job can be. "I fear everyday. Especially when you're underneath a vehicle and crawling out from underneath it," said Mike Kotak, who works for John's Towing in the Town of Tonawanda.

Tow truck operators are shaken by shaken by this morning's fatal accident on the I-190. Coffta - a 28 year old Clarence native who lived in Grand Island -- died at the scene. For Kotak, the accident is a nightmare come true. "It's a fear that we all have. We all want to come back to our families at the end of the day."

The driver of the SUV, 64 year old David Brown of Cheektowaga, is charged with DWI and vehicular manslaughter. He's being held on 25 thousand dollars bail and is due back in Tonawanda Town Court for a felony hearing Thursday afternoon.

Coffta's family gathers at Marty's Towing in Grand Island. His relatives and colleagues are too upset to talk to reporters. A sheriff's deputy among those dropping by to give his condolences about Coffta's tragic death. "I know he had a girlfriend I believe he had a child, a mother and a father. It's something that it's heart-wrenching," said State Police Captain Michael Nigrelli. " (Coffta) was out here performing his job doing the public service. It's nothing more than a senseless tragedy."

John's Towing is about a mile from the crash site. Operations Manager Chuck Grunzweig feels for his colleagues at Marty's...who all work a dangerous job. "We try to do as much as we can wear safety vests, teach our guys to work on the inside always keep their face towards traffic. But ultimately you're rolling dice every time you go out there."

We're waiting for word on whether Brown has any prior DWI's on his record. With what he's charged with now, he faces up to 7 years in prison.

My thoughts and prayers go out to Marty's Towing of Grand Island and the friends and family of Kevin Coffta

John Kirsch
Hillman Automotive
Lockport, New York

Lake Erie Lenny said:

way to close to home for me,figures another drunk screwing up someone life,kevin will be missed and my prayers go out to his family and marty's towing during this time of pain!! kevin was a good kid only met him a few times but was a good impression. GOD BLESS!!!!!

HeavywreckerW900 said:

The thoughts and prayers of everyone here at Beaumans Garage goes to Kevins family and friends..This sucks and it should never happen!!!!! This is way to close to home and almost all of us from around here have loaded a vehicle in this area and it can get real nuts there. We need a move over law but in this case it would be a mute point I guess. To the staff at Martys I give our condolences. Anything we can do let us know. I am posting another link to the story also.

John H Beauman Jr
Beauman`s Garage
Lockport,Ny