Quantcast
  • Join the TowForce community.

It looks like you're not logged in. Register to get started and to receive Tower Down Notices.

Oklahoma House approves 'John Mills bill' to help protect first, second responders

OKLAHOMA CITY (KOKH) — A bill that addressed the state's current "Slow Down, Move Over" law passed through the House unanimously on Wednesday.

House Bill (HB) 2684, authored by Rep. Neil Hays, R-Checotah, would mandate drivers approaching a stationary, authorized emergency vehicle to reduce their speed to at least 10 mph below the posted speed limit. The bill would also increase fines for non-compliance.

HB 2684, the "John Mills Bill," is named after John Mills, a tow truck operator from District 13 who was killed this past Nov. 2022 along Hwy 69.

"While this bill's need saddens me, I am honored to run it to recognize John Mills' legacy," Hays said. "I encourage all Oklahomans to pay attention to the highways so our first responders, second responders and emergency workers can stay safe while doing their job."

If a person violates this provision, they will be found guilty of the endangerment of an emergency worker. The fine for not complying would be $5,000 if the offense resulted in injury to an emergency responder and $10,000 if the crime resulted in an emergency responder's death.

HB 2684 passed the House with a vote of 86-0. It now moves on to the Senate for further consideration.

RESOURCE LINK

Original Notification Topic: Tower Down - 11.26.22 (OK) "Updated 02.18.23"

• Like 1