Quantcast
  • Join the TowForce community.

It looks like you're not logged in. Register to get started and to receive Tower Down Notices.

McKays:Family towing on i88

I like how the first thing you looked at was the drive-line. Thinking to yourself: "Thank God its not a Meritor!"

I hate them too.

Placing cones out next is priority for me. Well done. Proper set up too.

Also I want to commend you for breaking the u-joints bolts loose with a breaker bar or ratchet. I have seen the results of using an impact and the bolts are rounded off making them very difficult to remove.

You had her ready to tow in less than 30 minutes and did everything in a proper fashion. Good Job!

A couple of pointers from an old guy; I like to put my light-bar on the rear of the towed vehicle right after I set up my cones to give more warning to the oncoming traffic. (I have my hazards on and turn on the hazards on the casualty if possible.) I also like to have brakes from my vehicle to the towed unit and safety chains/straps. I realize you may have done that after the video ended or at the exit ramp up the road so don't feel like I'm criticizing you.

Keep up the good work and stay safe out there. That precious little passenger is counting on you.

More on the triangles

Have you ever wondered why most truck drivers set up their orange triangles the wrong way? Why are they consistently doing this wrong?

Place triangle reflector triangles near your vehicle to direct oncoming traffic away from your vehicle.

• As a rule of thumb, you should put the first warning triangle 10 feet directly behind your vehicle on the side closest to the road.
  • Then place the second warning triangle 100 feet behind your vehicle, lining it up directly in the middle of your car’s position.
  • Finally, put the third warning triangle 300 feet from your car, lined up with the side of your vehicle furthest from the road.
Edited by ProTower
  • Like 1

Mark