Quantcast
  • Join the TowForce community.

It looks like you're not logged in. Register to get started and to receive Tower Down Notices.

Recovering cars from vertical ditches

Need some help. I got called out in my rollback to winch out a car that went into a ditch and it was a freshly cut high volume trench style ditch. Think 3' deep with vertical cut walls. I couldn't get the car to come out without causing damage. As soon as 1 tire would come up the whole weight of the undercarriage is on the lip of the ditch. It's like the car is behind a guardrail. I gave up and had the people call a wrecker to lift it. Is there a way to use a rollback to recover these accidents while minimizing damage? 

I know the damage isn't assessed until the car is out of the ditch but in this case the car seemed fine with minor damage sitting down in the hole. 

Deep ditches you need to pull from the side or it'll never come out. It'll just keep walking down the ditch. If you have a tree on the opposite ditch hook you a block and pull it out. If nothing on opposite side to hook too when I'm in a rollback and get a call like that I hook the block on the rear far side of the bed and back beside it and pull it up out the ditch.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk