Quantcast
  • Join the TowForce community.

It looks like you're not logged in. Register to get started and to receive Tower Down Notices.

Tow Truck Driver Struck - 06.10.22 (NC) "Updated 06.15.22"

CONCORD, N.C. (WBTV) - Police in Concord are trying to find the driver of a car accused of hitting and then dragging a tow truck driver on the road near a busy gas station.

On Friday night at approximately 11:31 p.m., Concord Police responded to a report of a hit and run traffic accident involving injuries at 1086 Concord Parkway North/US 29. The location is near the QT convenience store.

Police said that a towing vehicle from LeBleus Towing Service in Concord was stopped at the traffic light at the intersection of US 29 and Florence Street NW when that vehicle was struck from behind by a black four-door sedan. The towing service was not performing any duties at the time of the accident, police said.

The driver of the tow truck got out of his vehicle and walked back toward the suspect vehicle. Police said some type of interaction occurred, and that the driver of the suspect vehicle went around the tow truck, striking the tow truck driver, then drove northbound on US 29.

“We’ve been told that the people pulled a gun on him and laid him on the hood,” said Jeremy Goode, owner of LeBlues Towing. “When he bent over the hood they took off, drug him about 50 feet down the road, ran over the top of him and just kept going.”

The driver of the tow truck was initially transported to Atrium Cabarrus as a result of injuries sustained from the suspect vehicle striking him, and was later transported to Atrium Main.

“He is in ICU, he’s starting to come around, he’s starting to remember, he’s starting to talk a little bit. He’s not out of the woods by no means, but he is doing a lot better than he was,” Goode said.

Police are continuing to investigate. Anyone with information is asked to contact Concord Police at 704-920-5000.

Resource Link

Concord police look for suspect accused of rear-ending tow truck driver, leaving scene

CONCORD, N.C. — Concord police are asking for help finding and identifying the person accused of crashing into a tow truck, seriously hurting its driver, and then leaving the scene.

Investigators said on Friday at about 11:30 p.m., officers were called to the crash on Concord Parkway North at the intersection of Florence Street Northwest.

Police believe while a tow truck was stopped at the traffic light there, it was hit from behind by a black sedan. The truck’s driver, John Owen, left the vehicle and approached the suspect’s car.

Officers said “some type of interaction” happened between Owen and the people inside the suspect’s car, and then the suspected driver started to leave the scene. The suspect drove around the tow truck, hitting Owen.

Surveillance video shows Owen out of frame for about 45 seconds, but then video shows him being dragged about 50 feet up the road.

The suspect’s car was last seen heading north on Concord Parkway.

Owen was taken to a hospital in Charlotte where he is receiving treatment.

Police released photos of the suspect’s car and the suspect. The photos were captured from surveillance video systems prior to the crash.

Anyone who witnessed this crash or has information about the car and driver is asked to call Sergeant Clay Hall, Concord Police Department Public Safety Unit, at 704-920-5058 or email him at hallec@concordnc.gov. The public may also provide anonymous information to the Cabarrus Area Crime Stoppers by calling 704-93-CRIME.

Resource Link

• 1 month later...

UPDATED: Tow truck driver walking again after being hit, dragged by car in Concord

NEWS VIDEO in link

CONCORD, N.C. — John Owens spent one month in the ICU after he was dragged by a vehicle in Concord in June.

“I’m a little woozy. I’m good driving but standing up, I’m a little woozy,” said Owens.

Owens said someone rear-ended him along Concord Parkway as he was getting off work.

Channel 9 obtained surveillance video that captured the night Owens was involved in the crash.

The video shows him getting out of his truck to check the damage. Shortly after, he said he jumped on the hood of the other driver’s car to prevent them from driving away. Once he jumped on the hood of the car, he fell and hit his head on the concrete.

“He backed up and tried to go around my truck,” said Owens. “As soon as I got on the hood, I said, ‘This a bad idea.’”

Owens said he doesn’t remember what happened next, but the surveillance video shows a good Samaritan rushing to help him before first responders responded.

“She stayed with me the whole time, so I really appreciate that,” said Owens. “Only one, it’s just wild.”

RESOURCE LINK