Quantcast
  • Join the TowForce community.

It looks like you're not logged in. Register to get started and to receive Tower Down Notices.

My latest and greatest wrecker project

Tow411

Topic Originally Created by Ameritowruston on Tow411 in September of 2008:

I bought this truck off ebay last week. I saw one that spanky had and I wanted one. When this one showed up I knew it was the one. It was fairly close and it was in great shape, with two owners. It is a 48 GMC 350 cabover with a W35 holmes bed. The truck is great and I hope to make it run this weekend. I have had no time to play with it because of the hurricane. I have plans to restore the truck back to its orginal form but it will take me a while. I took some pictures of the stuff in the toolboxes hoping someone would know what it is. Spanky you asked for it so here it is. Also in the last picture is where I bought the truck from. I thought it was a neat name for a town.http://www.ezboard.com/images/emoticons/laugh.gif
Thanks
Brad

090308A.jpg.414e6b05cce2f3244a465cee5fd02231.jpg

090308B.jpg.cec74a44597b77e3d2bfe04aa24858ad.jpg

090308C.jpg.3e59f0f5b64b163e4bd07d0d2f65d53e.jpg

090308D.jpg.61b9271aa3f22e7d2dc9b03ee2293c3b.jpg

090308E.jpg.7962925740660b70b244060ead30033c.jpg

090308F.jpg.943a4ceabcb3edb9a3f6ace5701a9ff1.jpg

Spanky said:

AWESOME !, Brad, looks like you've got yourself a nice one, with lots of potential. You've even got yourself a nice set of original Holmes Ground Anchors. Holmes Heavy Duty Steering Clamps, & a vintage set of kerosene road flare(smudge pots). Along with boom, & drum crank handles. Thanks, for the pictures.

Leadership Towing said:

I love this truck! Post pics when you finish the rebuild!!

JHNS tw said:

Man you hit the gold mine with that one especially with the accessories!

Scott Johnson
John's Towing
Durham N.C.
919-730-3692

Jarold Howland said:

It certainly seems you know your equipment,I didn't know one piece from another.
Fine looking potential with it, good luck. Keep us posted with pics of the progress.

underdog said:

That should be a fun project. Good luck with it. Great equipment.
Stay safe, Rich.

Ameritowruston said:

Thanks for all the replys and I will post pics when I am through. It will take me a while but I will get around to restoring it. I really need to get rid of a few other trucks I have so check for my add in pre 1980s section and look at my cabovers. They really need to go. I just started college and I need some money just in case. I may be selling my 49 GMC with a Holmes 515 in a few weeks so keep your eyes open.
Thanks
Brad

Spanky said:

Brad, Those rubber fender, & step pads are being reproduced, & are available from Jim Carters Antique Truck Parts www.oldchevytrucks.com . Also I don't know what the title says on your COE, but seeing how it has a inside cab fuel tank, with the filler neck on the passenger side below the beltline, I'd venture to say your truck is a '49, or '50 model. 1949 was the first year for the inside the cab fuel tank. I have two '48's, & neither has the fuel tank inside the cab. 1951 was the first year for the vent door glass, with no cowl vent on the driver side.

HDtower2 said:

love the truck,but, love the city name more!!!

tony coffey -- tri-power towing and recovery
900 south oak, effingham il 217-342-6135
TRAA -#9159 - WM 090526 - Miller Ring LeadeASE master tech

Ameritowruston said:

Sorry Spanky started college last month and time is kind of short around here now. Also, we have done so many truck wrecks in the last two weeks that I have barely slept. My plans are to try it again tomorrow but who knows what will happen. This week has not been good for us. Look in the good, the bad, and the ugly and you will understand what I am talking about. I have all the points and other parts to make it run but I have not had time.
Thanks
Brad

Wrecktech100 said:

great looking truck..some tales could be told by that old timer.

72vanova said:

Aw man, love the old COE's. Great find !! When metal was metal... Good Luck. Jimmy

easttown said:

I wonder what these beasts were like to drive everyday. No power assists...what would be their cruising speeds?..braking?...I remember driving a 69 C30 Chevy without PS...wore me out after a hour of driving in the city..

Spanky said:

They are not too bad to drive. I presently have 3 of them, & they average out to around 48-55 mph pretty comfortably. All depends on the tire size, & rear axle ratio also. My '53 Chevy COE with 8.25 20 tires, & single speed rear axle runs between 48-50 mph, while my two '52 GMC COE's, one running with 9.00 20, tires, & 2 spd. rear axle around 50-52, while the other GMC runs between 52-55, with 10.00 20 tires. No power assist, but I don't need any.

aussiehooker said:

it will look great in red and white please send more pics as you go happy hooking don

jimnjem said:

I used to live in Jonesboro, so I've driven through Weiner more times than I care to remember. Was this at the old shop with the wood plank garage door? There is a guy there that has a warehouse full of antique cars. It sits right on the Hwy. 49 (the main drag through town). There is also a lot with a 6' chain link fence around it with lots of old cars, including some old Mopar muscle cars.

In Memory of Da Wash Boss who said:

Thats nice, love them old cannonball gmcs. Please keep us posted with progress pics.

Ameritowruston said:

jlmnjem you are right. It was at Perkins body shop in weiner but he only had one car left. He took down the fence the day before I picked up the truck. His shop had been there for a very long time. Any body tell me what would make a truck not fire. I have brand new coil, points, wires and plugs in this truck and it still won't fire. I have not had any time to work on it but soon I will. Right now I am building my hotrod cabover wrecker and it is taking a while.
Thanks
Brad

Ameritowruston said:

Just wondering if anyone would be interested in buying this truck? I have found one in a little better shape that runs and drives. You geteverything you see in the pitures except for two of the wheel stops on the board. I have started to restore them for another truck. You get the other two though and everything in the bed.
Thanks
Brad

Passervice said:

You need to check your Ground straps and to make shure that the dist. Is getting a good ground. and to check your plug wires for Cont. On a rare chance you can end up with a bad condenser.

good luck.... I would think it would sell fast on Ebay... but, There new Fee is over 150.00 and they say you only pay that if it sells and that there is no listing fee. But, the other catch is you are required to take paypal for full payment. and there is another fee there.

But, it is an option for a fast sell...

Ameritowruston said:

I know but three of the people that bid against me when I bought it were on here so I thought I would get it a try here first. I am trying to buy one that is on here for sale. That is the only reason that I am selling it. Did you get the email I sent you? Spanky can tell you all about where to find parts.
Thanks
Brad