Quantcast
  • Join the TowForce community.

It looks like you're not logged in. Register to get started and to receive Tower Down Notices.

Tow truck driver hit on i-80 recovering after amputation (neb)

TowZone

A tow truck driver who was run over on the interstate is learning to walk again after losing his foot.

Larry Miller is a fighter. At 70 years old, his therapists are impressed with how quickly he's been able to recover after such a traumatic injury.

In a therapy session, Miller stood on his one remaining foot. Just over two weeks ago a driver hit Miller on I-80 at Q Street. Miller owns Neff towing and was out on a call when he was run over.

“I’ve always feared that phone call, just growing up in this business and you just never know,” Ladona McCoy said.

KETV Newswatch 7 met Miller and his family in the hospital a day after the accident. Doctors were unsure if they could save his foot. A week later it was amputated. Now Miller has moved to Madonna Rehabilitation.

“I’m gaining. Slow, but sure,” Larry Miller said.

Each seemingly simple task, now difficult. Things such as opening doors, sorting mail, even getting in and out of a car, all while balancing on one foot.

“[They] work the devil out of you, I mean, it’s basically nonstop,” Miller said.

Miller is in good spirits, surrounded by friends and family.

“He’s got that drive in him and that passion to get better and it’s good to see his positive attitude and ‘I’m going to get back in that truck, I’m going to get back in that truck’" McCoy said.

Miller is learning to adapt, with that one goal in mind. He is also on a mission to spread the word: Move over and slow down.

“Here’s the results of not slowing down, and moving over. Here's the results of what happened,” Miller said as he pointed to his leg.

The person who hit Miller was cited for negligent driving. Miller's family says he should be released from Madonna in about two weeks.

RESOURCE LINK

Archived