Quantcast
  • Join the TowForce community.

It looks like you're not logged in. Register to get started and to receive Tower Down Notices.

1961 Ford COE Street Rod Project

Topic Originally Created on Tow411 in July or 2007:

Bought this odd looking street rod. After just a few days of looking at the bad work, I cut it in half and I am completely rebuiling it into a show quality wrecker. The bed will lift up and down like a dump bed via a low rider system. It is at the fab shop having a old style wrecker bed made for it.

061907A.jpg

Cut in half...that was the easy part.

061907B.jpg

New frame going on.

061907C.jpg

It started life as a Cab Over Engine stake bodyish truck. Then the body was lifted And a Chevy truck chassis was put under it and turned into a rat rod. 350/auto, disc's, camaro rear, traction bars, big 23" tires etc. Here is a pic with the wrecker bed almost done. And no the hand rails are not done in the back. I also added a bit to the wheel base so it does not look like a clownmobile.

072307A.jpg

072307B.jpg

Here are a few more pics. We decided to do a frame off show quality job.

081607A.jpg

Below is just after getting back from the fab shop. Hated to take it back apart.

081607B.jpg

081607C.jpg

081607D.jpg

After 1 year it is done. It was at the Cleveland Autorama and took first place and a special ISCA award. I made it look like our Heavy Wrecker.

Oh yeah, George Barris liked so much he signed it under the hood. Hope ya like it.

031708A.jpg

031708B.jpg

031708C.jpg

031708D.jpg

Localtowie said:

Thanks so much for coming back and updating your post....

I remember you first posting it....

Wow that truck is a masterpiece and a credit to you....

Richard

FMS Mike said:

Now That is Cool!! Awesome Work!

ef32973e3d7720efaf3207de0c46e901f8c78511