Quantcast
  • Join the TowForce community.

It looks like you're not logged in. Register to get started and to receive Tower Down Notices.

From TowTimes.com - Weathering the Weather

TowBot

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQEe17-SwoHyGaltoF21rRICE1.jpg

From the Blog of Geri Roskopf:

No matter where you live – Florida, Texas or Wisconsin — weathering the weather is a big part of how the towing and recovery industry does business.

I’ve lived in Wisconsin all my life, and I can remember some major storms — like the ice storm in March, 1976, when over 600,000 homes were without electricity. The storm affected most of the state and lasted over a week. Snow is one thing, but ice is a beast, and this ice storm was considered a natural disaster.

The winter of 1978-1979, was recorded as one of the coldest and snowiest on record. Back-to-back storms dropped more than two feet of snow and the average temperature for a 40-day period was only 12 degrees. It was dangerous to be outside with exposed skin, when temps reached -20 degrees. Schools were closed, water pipes burst and there were bare shelves at the grocery stores.

ICE2.jpg

When the blizzard of 1982 hit, I didn’t see my husband for two days. What do you do when you get more than 16 inches of snow and you can’t go anywhere? You bake chocolate cookies, of course.

Southeast Wisconsin had its first measurable snowfall last weekend (Dec. 12-13). Snowfalls measured from 1 inch to 9 inches, but  meteorologists and the media made it sound like we were going to have a major blizzard.

For the most part, the weather channel has become our go-to station for weather updates. While the weather predictions are not always accurate, you can’t afford to be unprepared; whether they predict one, or nine, inches of snow.

Each region of the country faces effects of bad weather — tropical storms and hurricanes, snow and ice storms, tornadoes and wind. Be prepared, and be safe as you weather the weather in your part of the country.

http://feeds.feedburner.com/~r/Towtimes/~4/JZjVCg0uIh8

View the full article and more on TowTimes.com