Quantcast
  • Join the TowForce community.

It looks like you're not logged in. Register to get started and to receive Tower Down Notices.

From TowTimes.com - Small Business Week

TowBot

This week has been declared Small Business Week 2020.  I learned that the “U.S. Small Business Administration counts companies with as much as $35.5 million in sales and 1,500 employees as “small businesses”, depending on the industry. Outside government, companies with less than $7 million in sales and fewer than five hundred employees are widely considered small businesses”.

While my small towing and recovery business does not fit into either of those definitions, I would also add “mom-and-pop operation” to the definition of my business.

Many businesses in all industries were started as mom-and-pop-run companies. Over the years, with the struggles and challenges I,ve faced running my business, I’ve often asked myself why would any sane person try to start a business?

I recently read an article about the magic of entrepreneurialism as a means for positive change. Through the years, I’ve seen the spirit of what we as an industry can accomplish together. This belief, in my opinion, has built America’s economy. Think about how mechanical equipment has been replaced by hydraulic equipment. Someone saw a need, or saw how equipment could be improved to help towers work more efficiently. The author of the article wrote: “There is not a movement more rewarding and refreshing than to be a part of a business, culture, organization or community that promotes the mindset of entrepreneurialism.” 

What solution, service, voice or idea is lacking in our industry? If all the small businesses in the towing and recovery industry are willing to learn and grow together, we can get through the most challenging of times – and it doesn’t have anything to do with how many employees you have, or the total in sales.

Let’s celebrate all small businesses this week, and support the new entrepreneurs who are willing to take a risk — like many of us did.

joQ2DevGf2o

View the full article and more on TowTimes.com