Quantcast
  • Join the TowForce community.

It looks like you're not logged in. Register to get started and to receive Tower Down Notices.

How much service do you give AAA members?

TowZone

Topic originally created by bone5k in June of 2007:

How much time are you willing to spend on a scene with a member. I.E. winch outs, extra time for unusual circumstances. What are you "recovery/ winchout limits" "standby" limits?

e6f84f6e0ced524f327011037262533b2f124ee0

unknown member said:

After 30 minutes it cost extra. We will stay as long as the club or member will pay for our time and service. We have never left a job because we run out of time. It is always OKed in advance.

fairway said:

15 minutes included in the base per call pay, extra per minute after that.

cdntowguy said:

10 min "on scene" for a GOA.-yes we get paid for GOA's
30 min for winching-after on scene - till clearing, member pays after that.

usally 10 min for anything else, if the car wont start after 10 min we would normally recommend a tow to a garage- but some members want to keep on trying. The problem with that, is starters get burnt out and they want you to replace it, or the car is badly flooded it gonna blow the intake right off the manifold.

if "unuasual circumstances" means waiting for a cab, or making sure some one is safe before leaving the scene, we make sure that is done in the most effeciant way we can,regardless of the time it takes.

Steve

Tropical Towing said:

I have a 15 minute rule on about anything, if I am not making headway on getting a customer on his way in 5 minutes I am out of their or doing something different and yes I charge for it time is money. Like a jump start, I will put the cables on it and let it charge for 5 minutes, if it will not start at that point either I tow it or go to the next job. If I am on a flat tire and having trouble getting the lugs off or having trouble getting the spare tire out of it's carrier I either tow it or go to the next job, I have other customers to serve. That is where we should charge by the hour and not by the job!

unknown member said:

Easy question, On every tire change I dislodge spare tire and check and fill with air before I take other tire off. At times I've plugged spare tire to make operational because AAA member didn't have money for over milage not everybody carries plugs but I do. How much service did you say you needed? Now you can change the flat one. Yes I did say I check pressure and fill with every tire change. I don't get paid extra for that.........Got an air compressor? Use it.

unknown member said:

I air up spares, but I don't consider than an "extra" for AAA or anyone. 90% of the time, if I didn't air up the spare, I'd be leaving the customer sitting on a tire as flat as the the one I just took off.

Plug one? Nope nada never no way. I don't do plugs.

As far as AAA customers in general, they don't get any more or less service than any other customer.

EdsTowing r55_1559570275.gif said:

We get paid extra to air tires. Unless it is a new car, we check them all. The way I see it, a space saver spare has enough going against it never less being 10 or 15psi low. They have never questioned me. I feel it's just looking out for the safety of their member and it is in fact common for the tire to loose some air over a couple of years. I have an air port right by the drivers door on the truck that you can plug in a chuck with guage and air it with out taking out any hose. It's quick & easy.

bigberthastowing said:

We are not a direct AAA provider but have serviced AAA customers when they may not reach the AAA contractor. We spend as much time as needed to satisfy the customer and care for their needs. After 15 minutes we may bill for extended time. Winching is extra. Located in a small town (2500) in the country, we don't have to worry too much about two, five, six calls stacking up behind the customer because it is somewhat slow around here. I can afford to take the time necessary to be sure nothing is left to chance. The exception is a rotation call right in the middle of service. Then I'll go into high speed mode ( from 3 to say 4 miles per hour) to complete the job then proceed on to rotation. We have a pretty good local following but the MC business has just about dropped dead. GE completely died about two months ago and a couple had to be let go for monkey business. WE only service high end MC'c now. Going to check in a few weeks with AAA and ask about placing up on reserve backup. They have always paid the customer when we complete an invoice and a reimbursement sheet. I know that because I make it a point to call back in a couple of weeks to check on it. AAA customers seem to like us well enough to give referrals to other customers, AAA or not. Working in the boonies is good, but the mountains in Southwest Virginia take their share of clutches, brakes, and fuel consumption. We still WILL NOT charge to pry-bar that thar possum offun yo bumper for ya! We take a lot of pride in that!

5509ddda8979fc8ccda29e5de3ce7146a21c4add

unknown member said:

it all depends on the situation. if it is going to be a covered situation then we bill in 15 min intervals but you have to be carefull because alot of times the place and/or reason the person is stuck is not covered and when they call aaa for service they leave details out so before you take the aaa make sure it will be covered under aaa guide lines.also if you do go out and find it is not covered you can get paid thru aaa as a service call for going to the scene even if the cust refuses service when they find out they have to pay out of pocket.

Gullyman said:

I give the members outstanding service because I look at them like they are my customers not AAA's customers. It boosts my image as a tower to be contracted with them which has led me to become a very profitable mature business that will be around for a long time. I'm in a college town with a very captive customer base. I also do repairs at my shop and I'm right on main st. Sure AAA members can be a pain sometimes but outstanding service sets you apart from the competition.

296259c55cb6db31add664003c7efc7cb17082c.

Campus Automotive Inc.
1208 North Main Street
Blacksburg, VA 24060

unknown member said:

I agree to a point that they are your customer not the MC once your on scene, but at the same time 95% of MC customers will talk about what a great deal the MC is, because I got there fast and did a great job!!! When you talk to these people they never seem to remember the name of the tow company just how great th MC is. I treat all customers fair but those paying my rates get more bang for there buck then a MC customer that Iam getting 25% less to do the job. At AAA 60% off they got no bang just good professional service, few perks. Ive had paying customers tell me how great it is I would arrange the tow without them being thier, and they would bad mouth the AAA guy cause he would never do that for them, they are always suprised when I say that was me. I beileve most MC Members dont remember who helps them only the MC name good or bad.

unknown member said:

We give all our customers the same treatment and have a lot of customers request us when the call there MC

unknown member said:

well lets see recovies and extrications are not covered under the aaa policy, so those calls I give them all the services and rescources i have at my disposal, since its at cash rates or insurance in case of accidents. AAA calls i will cut my losses and walk away from it, knowing aaa will not pay for the time it takes. or the equipement.