Quantcast
  • Join the TowForce community.

It looks like you're not logged in. Register to get started and to receive Tower Down Notices.

Tow truck driver steps up and saves a life (MI)

TowNews

While the people who ride in tow trucks aren’t sworn officers, sometimes they are tasked with keeping people safe, and this was the case for one driver on April 9th when a car overturned on the road.

“I immediately wanted to panic,” said truck drive Erin Reed. “My first reaction was to run.”

But that was actually the opposite of what she did. Reed was on her way to another call when she saw the overturned vehicle. 

“It was fresh and it was still kind of smoking and when I pulled up to the vehicle, I can see somebody’s hand on the window. So I jumped out and went around to assist them,” Reed said. 

While Reed is not an officer, she works for Detroit Police Towing and when she saw the accident before police, she knew she had to help. 

“I saw the overturned car, and I had to do something,” Reed said. 

The car was flipped over around 8 a.m. on one of the busiest highways, Davison Freeway. 

“I was raised in a very loving family, and that’s just what we do. We don’t think twice and we take care of each other and we take care of people.” she said. 

It was only a few minutes before Michigan State Police got to the scene to work on the crash, but those minutes could have meant life or death. 

“The first thing that came to my mind was excellent job,” said Captain Michael Parish of the Detroit Police Department. 

RESOURCE LINK with video

Archived