Quantcast
  • Join the TowForce community.

It looks like you're not logged in. Register to get started and to receive Tower Down Notices.

Can't believe it--AAA took my side. (from 2004)

TowZone

08-27-04: 13thrattler wrote,

About 2 months ago, one of my guys towed a basic member (from the Minn. club) 168 miles. The vehicle was a 15 pass. Ford van. When he unloaded the vehicle, he was not paying attention, and the drop-down trailer hitch that was attached to the rear, dug into the pavement of the parking lot, and stopped the van from coming down off the bed.
Then my driver gets this bright idea to retract the bed about 3 feet, lift up the bed----to the point that the rear wheels of the van was off the ground then move the bed back---thus--clearing the pavement with the trailer hitch.

In somewhat of a defense to my driver---he had seen me do this withjunk vehicles. It never ever occurred to me that he would try it on a customer.

Of course he bent the drive shaft. He called me the instant that it happened, and I spoke with the customer, and I told him that we would take care of it the next day (it was after 6pm at this time)
Now remember, this guy still owed me for 165 towed miles.

The next morning, I called a friend of mine that lives near the location where we unloaded the van. I ask him to tow the van over to a drive-shaft specialty shop in that area, and send me his bill. I called the drive-shaft shop, they said that they could get it in and out that same day. They would re-tube the drive-shaft, balance it, install new u-joints and R&R for about $180.00

I called the customer to let him know that we were on the case, and it would be ready by 5pm that day.

He tells me that he has called AAA and they sent another tow truck to pick up his van, and take it to a AAA approved repair shop.
As I found out later, that was a lie. The truth is, that he called AAA for another tow, and the tow truck driver recommended this AAA approved repair shop.

6 days later, the customer faxes me a bill for $994.59
This "AAA approved" shop charged $678.98 for a new drive-shaft, and 96.62 for 2 new u-joints, and $155.00 for R&R.

Y'all would be proud of me---I didn't loose my cool----well not too much anyway.

I called my wife, and ask her to get me a figure on how much money we had, in all 4 accounts. She ask why------I told her that she was going to need all of it to bail me out of jail after I killed this SOB.

After some investigating, I found out that this "AAA approved" shop was not AAA approved after all-----they used to be, but lost it a few years back---but they still had the "AAA Approved" sign out front.
I also found out that I could buy a new drive-shaft from my local Ford dealer for $303.00 and it came with 2 new u-joints pre-installed at the factory. And after getting 8 written estimates for a drive-shaft R&R, the highest price one was $55.00

I turned all of this info over to AAA Texas and ask for their advice.
They checked it out-----they took down the "AAA Approved" sign from that shop, the sent the Minn. member a letter stating that even though he was taken advantage of, it was not by the towing company, that the towing company had made arrangements, in a timely manner, to resolve the situation.
The letter also stated, that even though the towing company did admit to putting you in the situation, that caused you to be taken advantage of, if you had followed their advice, and instructions, this incident would not have occurred.
The towing company had made arrangements for repair of your vehicle at an est. price of $180.00, it is the understanding of AAA Texas that you owe the towing company $xxx.00. The towing company has agreed not to pursue this matter any further. Therefore AAA Texas is closing this file. A copy of this letter, along with all documentation will be forwarded to your Minn. club.

Motor clubs don't always take the members side
Gilbert

Autorescue said;

Thanks for sharing that very inspirational story...John R.

Previously known as Formula One Towing - Marquette, Michigan

Annettemcd said:

Gilbert, Sounds like you and AAA handled this as professionals. You did keep your cool.
I wonder if the customer understands that they brought this on themselves. It would be interesting to see if they have an recourse against that shop. I did a little math and no matter how you look at it, the shop overcharged by quite a bit, no wonder they are no longer AAA approved.
And Joyce did not even have to bail you out of jail. Annette

geno54 said:

Hi Gilbert. I'm glad it worked out for you. The Member your Driver towed sounds like a few we have around here. AAA will go to bat for you especialy if you try to resolve a problem on your own (like You attempted). But the Member has to be someone that You can work with (not like this one). I would like to suggest something; if anything would happen like this in the future call Your AAA Dispatch as soon as possible. It helps to keep them involved. This idiot had alot of Member Benefits at his disposal( trip interuption, emergency lodgeing, rental car etc. etc.) Plus a AAA Provider that tried to right-a-wrong. Even though we're a few states apart I guess we have a few things in common, 1. We both service Great AAA Clubs and 2. We both provide service to boneheads from Minnesota!

Stay safe and have fun. In a few months our Snowbirds will be headed your way! Gene

13thrattler said:

I love those snow birds. Or as the Chamber of Commerce puts it
"Winter Texans"
Gilbert

Archived