Quantcast
  • Join the TowForce community.

It looks like you're not logged in. Register to get started and to receive Tower Down Notices.

Officer directing traffic struck by car as Tow Truck leaves with vehicle (NJ)

TowNews

Sergeant hit by car is ID’ed as cop who was honored for saving driver from burning car

Officials on Wednesday identified the veteran Mount Arlington police sergeant who remained hospitalized after he was hit by a car while on-duty.

Sgt. James DiStasio was investigating “an unrelated traffic incident,” when he was struck around 6:50 p.m. Tuesday on Howard Boulevard, near a gas station and Route 80, according to statement from the Morris County Prosecutor’s Office.

Responders rushed DiStasio to Morristown Medical Center, the prosecutor’s office said. Officials would not confirm his condition.

“Officer DiStasio is a valued member of our Department and our Borough family. Please keep James in your thoughts and prayers at this time,” Mayor Michael Stanzilis said.

Witnesses told News12 the sergeant was directing traffic as a vehicle was being taken away on a tow truck when he was hit.

News of the incident prompted an outpouring of support from residents, fellow officers and others, who posted their well wishers on social media.

The New Jersey Fraternal Order of Police, the union that represents borough officers, said in a Facebook post that the sergeant was “severely injured” while investigating a traffic accident.

RESOURCE LINK

MOUNT ARLINGTON -

A police officer from Mount Arlington was struck by a truck Tuesday night while directing traffic after responding to another crash.

Friends say the officer's name is James Distasio, a sergeant with the department who is well-known and well-loved.

News 12 is told Sgt. Distasio responded to the crash Tuesday night around 7 p.m.

According to witnesses, Distasio got out of his cruiser to direct traffic as the car was getting loaded onto a tow truck.

That is when he was hit by another driver.

Dave Ferrara, owner of Davy's Hot Dogs, says he was just closing his restaurant when the tow truck driver came running in and told him Distasio was hit and on the ground.

"Everybody in town knows him,” says Ferrara. “It's a small little borough. Everybody is friendly. Like I said it's shocking.  The tow truck guys had tears in their eyes last night. I had tears I my eyes and we're just hoping."

Sgt. Distasio was recognized by the 200 club of Morris County for saving a man from a burning car.

There is no word yet on his condition.

http://newjersey.news12.com/story/39628610/mount-arlington-police-officer-struck-by-truck-while-responding-to-crash

Archived