Quantcast
  • Join the TowForce community.

It looks like you're not logged in. Register to get started and to receive Tower Down Notices.

Scammers!

STO

Recently, Marcello Perez, from Wolverine Productions encountered a scam that is affecting tow truck companies nationwide. People are taking it upon themselves to look for tow companies on google and then representing themselves as a tow company with fake websites. These websites have different phone numbers and fake addresses. These scammers then take calls from people that need a tow and charge them high prices so that they can contact reputable tow companies for the actual tow. These scammers then pay the tow companies low prices and profit off the initial payment. Marcello Perez represents Southwest Tow Operators and their members to track these scammers and report their activity to google. Tow company hackers are on the rise so this video was created to spread awareness of cyber crimes like these. Protect yourself from tow company scammers and ask for their TDLR license before hiring them. Ensure that the operators that pick your car up are certified in proper training. Also stay tuned for our scammers episode on Southwest Tow Operators live stream show "Recovery Alley", it's everything towing folks. See you then!

I think it was over the summer I took a call on a tire change. The company sated they were partnered with AAA I thought it was odd but I am not contracted with AAA and out here often AAA cannot find in network providers and I get calls from them in weird ways at times. 

The company sent me an email with CC and all dispatch information. Also not how AAA typically works. Which looked very legit. I did the job. But the customer told me how the call went on her end. They told her that AAA was backlogged and that to get the service done she would have to pay them and then AAA would reimburse her but they charged her a huge amount for an in town tire change at her house. 

I performed the service then tried to run the CC which it ran but for like $5 or $6 dollars. It was really weird because my CC machine showed approved and then printed out this much longer receipt from and out of country point of origin and then only processed for the amount I put above. Just strange. I then tried to call the company. I got the run around for several days but I did finally get ahold of someone who issued a new payment over the phone and it ran. 

After which I talked with the actual customer and she had found out that she had misdialed when calling AAA and it was a company that probably has phone numbers that are close to AAA numbers and scam people like this. I did tell AAA about it but who knows what actually occurred. I cannot remember the name of this company but I did post about this event on here shortly after it happened. 

On 12/13/2023 at 1:31 PM, Andy said:

I think it was over the summer I took a call on a tire change. The company sated they were partnered with AAA I thought it was odd but I am not contracted with AAA and out here often AAA cannot find in network providers and I get calls from them in weird ways at times. 

The company sent me an email with CC and all dispatch information. Also not how AAA typically works. Which looked very legit. I did the job. But the customer told me how the call went on her end. They told her that AAA was backlogged and that to get the service done she would have to pay them and then AAA would reimburse her but they charged her a huge amount for an in town tire change at her house. 

I performed the service then tried to run the CC which it ran but for like $5 or $6 dollars. It was really weird because my CC machine showed approved and then printed out this much longer receipt from and out of country point of origin and then only processed for the amount I put above. Just strange. I then tried to call the company. I got the run around for several days but I did finally get ahold of someone who issued a new payment over the phone and it ran. 

After which I talked with the actual customer and she had found out that she had misdialed when calling AAA and it was a company that probably has phone numbers that are close to AAA numbers and scam people like this. I did tell AAA about it but who knows what actually occurred. I cannot remember the name of this company but I did post about this event on here shortly after it happened. 

Andy, its happening all over Texas. Follow Southwest Tow Operators on Facebook for more Information on these "Scammers"  also we are going to do something Saturday afternoon on this on our live platform.  Stay tuned!