Quantcast
  • Join the TowForce community.

It looks like you're not logged in. Register to get started and to receive Tower Down Notices.

Tow truck driver shares perspective on car thefts, Kia boys

TowForce

COLUMBUS, Ohio (WSYX) — It's a crime with thousands of victims across Columbus: car thefts.

Victims know the frustrations and inconveniences that come with a stolen car. The people who tow those cars also have their own perspective about the impact across the area.

"It doesn’t surprise us at all," said Jim Shriner, co-owner of Broad and James Towing. "Any time I see us towing a newer Hyundai or Kia, I think well, somebody stole that one."

Shriner said his company's workers pick up about five stolen Kias and Hyundais every day.

HE SAYS BROAD AND JAMES TOWING PICKS UP ABOUT FIVE STOLEN KIAS AND HYUNDAIS DAILY.

"Everything from just a broken window and ignition busted to completely destroyed where they’ve hit another car or just run off the road and hit a pole," he said.

He also sees cars involved in attempted thefts.

"They say yeah, I walked in the house and came out 15 minutes later, and my ignition's busted," Shriner said. "Somebody tried to steal it."

According to Columbus police, there have been 8,249 reported cars stolen from the start of 2023 through September. Last year, CPD reports a total of 11,020 car thefts. In 2021, 8,498 car thefts, and more than 6,000 in 2020.

CPD data also shows a significant increase specifically in the number of Kia and Hyundai thefts. So far in 2023, more than half of car thefts in Columbus involve Kias and Hyundais.

Shriner also witnesses when victims reunite with their car.

"A lot of times the owners will come out and inspect the vehicle, and they’ll say, 'Oh my gosh I can’t believe they did this,'" he said. "Some of them mad, some of them are sad, some cry."

Shriner pointed out a Kia in the impound lot that still had a USB cord attached to it, the tool used by thieves to steal the car.

"It’s horrible," he said. "Somehow they need to put a stop to it, and I guess they need to punish the people who are doing it. They’ve got to catch them first and somehow put a stop to it."

And when he sees a stolen car, Shriner is reminded how difficult it makes the owner's life.

"They basically have no way to get around, no way to get to work, no way to have a livelihood, unless they buy another car or rent a car or borrow car, so yeah it’s a horrible thing," he said.

Shriner said cars sit in his impound lot for months because of delays in parts and repairs.

RESOURCE LINK