Quantcast
  • Join the TowForce community.

It looks like you're not logged in. Register to get started and to receive Tower Down Notices.

Farewell Tribute to Clinton Businessman Joe Lomanto (NY)

TowNews

CLINTON, N.Y. -- Joe Lomanto, the longtime owner of Clinton Collision, passed away at the age of 93.

He started his business in 1953, after returning from the Korean War.

The business started with an old beat-up tow truck, but after years of working days, evenings, and even overnights, the business is now a towing empire.

One of Lomanto’s most outstanding accomplishments was towing a 156-ton DC-11 Aircraft that got stuck in the snow on the Griffiss runway.

His family felt it only fitting to end his time on earth the same way he lived it—with his tow trucks. 

Lomanto’s daughter, Holly Lomanto O’Conell, talked about who he really was. 

"He led by example, and to be honest, I don’t think there’s anybody else I know in this world that was as hard working and dedicated as he was to not only his family, but his business and his friends," O'Conell said. 

Lomanto not only served his country in the U.S. Army during the Korean War, but he also spent 59 years with the Clinton Fire Department.

The department showed their respect at church services and with a firefighter’s final sendoff. 

Past Clinton Fire Chief Kevin Griffin says he'll be missed and well-remembered. 

"Joey was a legend. Everybody knew him as Joey, and the worst thing a fire chief wants to hear is ah Chief we got an issue here. Send Joey and have him bring his big one. They’ve been around forever. Everybody knows them and you know even doing this today doesn’t seem like it’s enough," Griffin said. 

Following the church services, dozens of tow truck operators from around the state gave their final respects with a honk of the horn. 

O’Conell talked about how fitting the tribute really was. 

"To me, it goes to show how many lives he impacted, and I think it was great. It was a sign of respect for him. I think that it just showed how many lives he touched and how impactful he was in this community. I mean he’s been a pillar her for 93 years, and he was friends with…if anybody knew him, you were friends with him," O'Conell said. 

RESOURCE LINK