Quantcast
  • Join the TowForce community.

It looks like you're not logged in. Register to get started and to receive Tower Down Notices.

TowTimes.com - I’m Fine

TowTimes

Last November at the Waukesha, Wis., Christmas Parade, Darrell Brooks drove his SUV through the parade route, killing six people and injuring dozens. At his sentencing, I listened to several victims speak of their traumatic experiences caused by his actions.

One woman’s story really stuck out with me because she still deals with PTSD among other things, but when asked how she is doing, she always replies “I’m fine” because she doesn’t want her two children to see and know what she is still dealing with. Her children were in the parade, one with her dance group and the other with his baseball team — where one team member was struck and killed.

When asked how I’m doing, I too find myself almost automatically replying, “I’m fine.”

Here are lyrics from the song “Truth Be Told” by Carly Pearce and Matthew West. I think it rings pretty true for me, and a lot of other people:

… Lie number one you’re supposed to have it all together
And when they ask how you’re doing
Just smile and tell them, “Never better”

… Lie number 2 everybody’s life is perfect except yours
So keep your messes and your wounds
And your secrets safe with you behind closed doors

… Truth be told
The truth is rarely told, now

… I say I’m fine, yeah I’m fine oh I’m fine, hey I’m fine but I’m not
I’m broken
And when it’s out of control I say it’s under control but it’s not
And you know it
I don’t know why it’s so hard to admit it

When being honest is the only way to fix it

I guess when someone asks how you’re doing, you don’t want to burden them with what is really going on in your life, but, perhaps being honest really is the only way to fix it.

View the full article and more on TowTimes.com