Quantcast
  • Join the TowForce community.

It looks like you're not logged in. Register to get started and to receive Tower Down Notices.

Tower Down 02.23.17: Tow Truck Driver Struck and Killed on Shoulder of SR-52 (CA)

TowForce

Original Topic Created by Towgodess14 on Tow411 Feb. 23, 2017:

We lost one of our own tonight. More details will be available as time goes on.

FredGriffith.webp

Man struck and killed along SR-52 in TierrasantaSAN DIEGO (CNS) - An SUV struck and killed a man alongside state Route 52 in Tierrasanta late Thursday afternoon.

The fatal accident occurred shortly after 5 p.m. on the eastbound side of the freeway, about three miles east of Santo Road, according to the California Highway Patrol.

The man, who was next to an apparently disabled commercial truck on the shoulder of the roadway, died at the scene, CHP public-affairs Officer Robert Catano said. The victim's name was not immediately available.

The crash forced the closure of one eastbound lane on the freeway and prompted the CHP to issue a congestion alert for the area.

https://www.cbs8.com/article/news/man-struck-and-killed-along-sr-52-in-tierrasanta/509-08bd7ffe-5fa0-4f0b-8f0d-3d479d66ce59

Tow Truck Driver Struck and Killed on Shoulder of State Route 52A tow truck driver was killed after being hit by a car on the shoulder of eastbound State Route 52 Thursday evening, the California Highway Patrol (CHP) confirmed.

CHP says a Roadone Towing driver got out of his truck to tow a disabled garbage truck when he was hit by another driver. The collision occurred at approximately 5:10 p.m. near Mast Boulevard.

Officers say the driver continued on eastbound SR-52 for nearly a mile until he was stopped by an off-duty officer.

"There was significant damage to the front end of the car and also there were witnesses to the incident," said CHP Sgt. Sofia Mosqueda.

The tow truck driver was not in traffic lanes when he was hit, according to CHP.

Alcohol is believed to be a factor in the collision, according to the CHP.

"There is danger for tow truck drivers and I think they're aware of it," Mosqueda said. "In these situations, it doesn't matter how much care you can take to be safe, you have impaired drivers on the roadway on any given day."

A Sig Alert was issued at 5:30 p.m. for the eastbound SR-52 at Summit.
The driver was booked into jail, CHP officials said.

carl4tow said:
This is the second driver hit in the county A diver got hit Saturday

rreschran said:
Trish ... I'm so sorry for your loss tonight. Christine and I send to you, RoadOne and the family our prayers and sympathy's.   R

Admin Added: Randy this is Too Good Not to Add Here...

Hi All … I’m writing to share some very bad news and I’m so very sad to report that, Fred Griffith, heavy duty supervisor for RoadOne Towing, in San Diego County, was killed by a drunk driver this evening at approximately 5pm. While the details are not yet known, it's reported that Fred responded to tow a disabled trash truck that was broke down up the mountain on EB52 between Santo Road and Mast Blvd. As Fred was working on the side of the shoulder, a large Ford SUV came onto the shoulder and struck Fred. Fred Griffith was a pillar of the towing and recovery industry and a familiar face and personality in Southern California. I've known him ofr many, many years and came to recognize his big personality as well as his infectious smile and frequent cigar. Fred would make you feel as though you were a friend of the family and would stop on a dime to help any tower in need

I talked to Fred Monday morning as he was heading out on another heavy request. The horror of this untimely accident is a solid reminder that we towers are vulnerable every time we step out of our tow trucks.

Would you all please keep Fred in your prayers as well as his family and RoadOne Towing. This is a horrible tragedy that won’t ever be forgotten. In the days to come, I most likely will be arranging a tow truck procession in Fred’s honor if it’s the family’s wishes. If there is a procession, I ask that you’ll send as many tow trucks and carriers to San Diego. I’ll keep you all posted as I learn additional details.

Towgodess14 replied:
Thank you so much. We are all still trying to process what happened.

TowZone said:
Thought's and Prayer's Gods Speed:

cdntowguy said:
Deepest sympathies and condolences to his family and friends.

Steve in Ottawa

Jef said:
My deepest sympathy to his family and friends.

Old Tow said:
We send our deepest sympathy to his family and work friends, and especially to the company. We will be lifting you up to the Lord in our prayers. God Be With You All ..... Rick

speedracer said:
houghts and Prayers for the family, friends, and co-workers.

Another tragic day in our industry.

May God Bless all Responders and Keep them Safe!!!

Joanne 🙂

mooresbp said:
Our deepest sympathies and prayers go out to all of you.

grumpy said:
you have my deepest sympathies & prayers . God Speed Jeff

American Tower said:
Such terrible news. Our thoughts and prayers will be with the family and friends of the deceased.

5Towman said:
Very tragic. Our thoughts and prayers go out to his family and friend.

Towgodess14 said:
Update on both Fred and the suspect driver.

rreschran said:
Thank you Ron for keeping my message on this post regarding this incident. I appreciate it.   R

mushspeed said:
Please convey our deepest sympathy's to Fred's, Family, Co workers and friends....

We too, feel your tragedy.....

Our thoughts and prayers are with you.... 

From your fellow Towers in the UK and Europe.

John.

On Mar, 3, 2017 TowNews Added: 
SAN DIEGO — A repeat DUI offender who was allegedly drunk when he drove on the shoulder of eastbound state Route 52 and struck a tow-truck operator tending to a disabled trash truck pleaded not guilty Tuesday to second-degree murder and other charges.

Michael Gilbert Gray, 48, was ordered held on $3 million bail.

Deputy District Attorney Cally Bright said Gray — who has three prior DUIs dating back to 1999 — was allegedly under the influence of alcohol when he avoided slow traffic shortly after 5 p.m. last Thursday by driving onto the shoulder of the freeway near Mission Trails Regional Park.

Gray struck and killed 55-year-old Fred Griffith and drove off, but was followed by an off-duty sheriff’s deputy, who got the defendant to pull over three-quarters of a mile down the road, the prosecutor said.

The defendant — who had a half-empty bottle of vodka in his car — was still showing signs of intoxication three hours after the crash, Bright said. Gray’s blood-alcohol content is not yet known.

Gray — who also has a felony conviction for committing a lewd act on a child — faces 30 years to life in prison if convicted of murder, gross vehicular manslaughter while intoxicated and leaving the scene of the crash. His last DUI was in 2013, Bright said.

The victim was a single father to three teenage boys.

“He was one of the funniest guys you’d ever meet,” said Griffith’s oldest son, Michael, who is 19. “He would do pretty much anything for you if you really asked him to. I don’t know how a lot of people are going to get by without him.”

Gray will be back in court March 9 for a readiness conference and March 13 for a preliminary hearing.

Tow truck procession was held in honor of fellow driver

Murder plea in DUI crash that killed tow truck driver

08.09.18 -

SAN DIEGO — Michael Gilbert Gray had three drunken driving convictions and a suspended driver’s license when he stopped at a Miramar store for a bottle of vodka.

He guzzled about half of it while driving east on state Route 52.

It was Fred Griffith’s fate to be standing next to his tow truck, starting to load on a broken-down trash truck, as Gray swerved onto the right shoulder to get around slower traffic.

Gray’s SUV missed the trash truck, but slammed into Griffith, killing him instantly on Feb. 23 last year.

On Thursday, Gray made a move that shocked a long-time prosecutor and gratified Griffith’s family and friends.

Gray pleaded guilty to second-degree murder.

“I’m stunned,” Deputy District Attorney Cally Bright said out of court. “He pleaded to murder. That doesn’t happen.”

Bright noted that it has happened just once before in the four years she has headed the DUI homicide prosecution unit, overseeing 65 cases in which drunken drivers killed someone.

Gray, 51, is to be sentenced to 25 years to life in prison on Oct. 19.

“We are definitely happy with this outcome,” Griffith’s oldest son, Michael Griffith, 19, said after a judge accepted Gray’s change of plea. “I don’t think we could get anything better. It’s definitely the first step to closure.”

Fred Griffith, 55, worked for Road One Towing and, with more than 20 years in the business, was well-known and liked. He taught tow truck driver safety courses on the side, according to a Road One statement issued after his death.

He was standing on the driver’s side of his rig, operating controls at the back, when he was struck by Gray’s SUV between Santo Road and Mast Boulevard in Tierrasanta. It was 5 p.m., with heavy commuter traffic.

Bright said Gray had bought the vodka and consumed half of it while driving. After hitting Griffith, he kept going, but was pulled over by an off-duty sheriff’s deputy who witnessed the collision.

Gray had a blood-alcohol level of .24 percent, Bright said — well over the .08 percent at which a driver is presumed under the influence in California.

He was facing 55 years to life in prison, with his three prior DUIs dating back to 1999 and two serious felony “strike” convictions, in San Diego and in Sacramento, for assault with intent to commit rape and domestic violence with great bodily injury, Bright said.

She offered Gray a plea deal to not count the serious felony convictions as “strikes” that added decades to his sentence. She also dropped counts of gross vehicular manslaughter, DUI causing injury and having a blood-alcohol level of more than .08 percent.

Gray agreed and pleaded guilty to second-degree murder and admitted the two serious past convictions that were not counted as formal strikes.

Bright said Griffith’s family was relieved to not have to sit through a long trial and to have to case resolved.

San Diego Superior Court Judge Esteban Hernandez is expected to sentence Gray to 15 years to life for the murder charge plus five years each for the two prior felony convictions.

Bright said Gray would have been eligible for parole at age 74 with strikes on his record. Now, he will be eligible for parole at age 70.

Resource Link