Quantcast
  • Join the TowForce community.

It looks like you're not logged in. Register to get started and to receive Tower Down Notices.

Jarrod J Drew, 24, West Bridgewater, MA, 02.20.04

TowForce

Topic Originally Created by Forgivenone on Tow411 in 2004:

Drew was struck and killed, along with his co-worker Timothy E. Kelly, as they were standing outside their trucks in the breakdown lane on Interstate 495 in Norton at about 4 a.m. At the time of the accident, Drew had apparently arrived on the scene to help Kelly after Kelly's tow truck had broken down on the side of the highway.

This is a reprint from a local paper.

Raynham man charged in fatal accident

SUSAN WEINSTEIN , Gazette Staff Writer 03/02/2004

NEW BEDFORD --The Raynham man who struck and killed two tow-truck operators on Interstate 495 has been charged with two felony counts of motor vehicle homicide by drunk driving, a spokesman for the Bristol County district attorney's office said yesterday.

Daniel M. Cummings, 21, of 25 Quequechan Circle, Raynham was also charged yesterday with negligent driving and failure to stay within marked lanes in connection with the Feb. 20 crash that resulted in the deaths of Jarrod J. Drew, 24, of Brockton, and Timothy E. Kelly, 23, of Bridgewater.

Cummings was seriously injured in the pre-dawn crash and was released from Beth Israel Deaconess Hospital in Boston Friday, the district attorney's spokesman Joseph DeMedeiros said.

"It was a pretty elaborate investigation," said DeMedeiros, who declined to further comment on the specifics of the probe or the charges.

Cummings will be arraigned before a judge in Attleboro District Court at a date to be scheduled, he said. Bristol County Assistant District Attorney Garrett R. Fregault has been assigned to prosecute the case.

The victims were employed by A-1 Affordable Automotive and Towing in West Bridgewater.

Kelly's vehicle had broken down, stranding him along I-495 southbound near Exit 10 in Norton, state police said. Drew had arrived at the scene with a flatbed truck to help his co-worker. They were standing in the breakdown lane when Cummings plowed into them.

Drew was taken by ambulance to Sturdy Memorial Hospital in Attleboro, where he died of his injuries. Kelly was pronounced dead at the scene.

Cummings was Med-Flighted into Boston with severe leg injuries.

State police initially said Cummings would probably be charged with a marked-lane violation and they were looking into possible drunken driving and speeding charges.

Cummings had five prior motor vehicle offenses on his driving record at the time. According to the Massachusetts Registry of Motor Vehicles, Cummings had a seat belt violation in 2000 and two speeding citations for traveling 10-15 miles above the speed limit in 2000 and 2002.

On June 13, 2003, Cummings was charged by New Hampshire police with illegal possession of drugs and alcohol. The New Hamsphire Registry of Motor Vehicles informed their Massachusetts counterparts of those charges only hours before the fatal accident.

"We just put it in his record yesterday," Massachusetts RMV spokesperson Amie O'Hearn said on Feb. 20.

Cummings graduated Bridgewater-Raynham Regional High School in 2001. He is currently a sophomore at Bridgewater State College.

©The Taunton Gazette 2004

deana1115 said:

Thanks so much to the tow trucks for their support the day of the tribute. You really touched my family that day with your support, respect, and time driving on 495 past the memorial. Tim and Jarrod are smiling in heaven right now. My cousin was Tim Kelly and I can't tell you how devastated and sad I am. I am sickened over this pathetic, worthless drunk who walked away from this alive after he killed my cousin and Jarrod. There is no punishment worthy enough for me. I miss my cousin terribly and I just wanted to express my thanks and let everyone know he loved being a tow truck driver. He not only was a wonderful, caring, loving cousin but everybody's friend as well.

jlc77 said:

Its been about 5 months since my brother Jarrod Drew, and co-worker Timothy Kelly were both killed on rte 495 in Norton MA.

Daniel Cummings of Raynham MA is being charged with the deaths of both men, who worked for A-1 Towing in West Bridgewater, MA. Daniel Cummings had a blood alcohol level double the legal limit. However, he pleaded not guilty.

Not only is this kid pleading not guilty to killing my brother, and Timothy Kelly, he has the balls to ask for his license back. He will be in front of the Massachusetts Registry Of Motor Vehicles for an appeal at a later date.

In addition, We were told by the D.A. that this kid, who is obviously out on bail, probably won't go on trial until next year, after the holiday season.

This forum isnt necessarily the place for me to express my rage, but I'm sure you all can just imagine the immense anger I have. And you guys should be outraged too. As tow truck drivers, you guys put your lives on the line to help people in need, and when two of your very own were struck down, the state lets the murderer free.

I will keep you up to date as time goes on. I'm trying to figure out in my head what the next step to take is. To maybe raise some public awareness about the trial.

Any questions or concerns, feel free to email me.

Ryan Drew

I hope this is the proper forum to post this message and apologize if I messed up.

I thought I'd share the following.

Over the weekend, I started work on a "tribute video" for Jarrod, using some pictures I found around the house. I finally finished the project last night. If you'd like to take a look at the finished product, I included a link below. Take care & be safe. Ryan Drew

www.99centvideo.net//JarrodDrewTribute.wmv "VIDEO LINK NO LONGER ACTIVE"

"On February 19th 2004, I turned 22 years old. The following day, February 20th, my mother turned 47. That also happened to be the day life changed forever. That's the day my brother Jarrod was killed.

At 3 am on February 20th 2004, my brother Jarrod, 24, was working for A-1 Towing. He got a call from a co-worker Tim Kelly, 23, that his tow truck had broken down. Jarrod left his house that night, never to return. Never again to relish in the love of his girlfriend of 5 years. Never again to see his 2 year old son play with his bike.

Around 4 am that morning, as Jarrod and Tim hitched their trucks together in the breakdown lane of rte 495, a 21 year old drunk driver recklessly murdered them with his vehicle. Tim was pronounced dead at the scene, while Jarrod died on the way to the hospital.

I think about him everyday. And not once does my heart not break.

I am a better person for having had Jarrod in my life. And I will not let him down. "

P.S. Haven't been notified of a trial date as yet. Will keep you posted.

Tow Zone said:

This is certainly the place for your voice, we are fortunate enough that a family member effected by such a tragic event is among our towing family. Keeping us up to date concern and your loss in the forefront is of priority.

If needed I'm sure tow trucks will line the streets on the date of trial. A mass showing of support, an out pouring of concern of the magnitude to make national news would send a clear signal that our brothers and sister deaths will not be forgotten. Keep us advised, as the trial dates are set. post them here and in announcements. Most importantly Announcements.

Lest We Forget!

July 2005:

Raynham Man Pleads Guilty In Tow-Truck Drivers' Deaths
Prosecutors: Defendant's Car Struck, Killed Men In Breakdown Lane

NEW BEDFORD, Mass. -- A Raynham man pleaded guilty Tuesday in the deaths of two tow-truck drivers he was accused of striking with his car while driving drunk.

Daniel Cummings entered the plea to two counts of motor vehicle homicide just as testimony was scheduled to begin in his trial in New Bedford Superior Court.

A judge sentenced Cummings to four to five years in prison, followed by eight years of probation. Cummings will also lose his license for 10 years.

The accident occurred in February 2004. Police said Timothy Kelly, 23, of Bridgewater, had pulled his disabled tow truck off to the side of Interstate 495 in Norton. A second flatbed tow truck driven by Jarrod Drew, 24, of Brockton, was sent to help Kelly.

Both men were outside their trucks when they were struck and killed by Cummings' car.

Tow Truck memorial procession

On Feb. 20, 2004 two tow truck operators Timothy Kelly, and Jarrod Drew were struck and killed on Interstate 495 in Norton Ma by a speeding motorist. This procession was held shortly after to pay respect to their line of duty death.

March 10, 2004:

On behalf of my family, I would like to express my sincere appreciation and heartfelt gratitude for the awesome tribute held to honor my nephew, Jarrod Drew, and his coworker, Tim Kelly.

Both these young men senselessly and tragically lost their lives in the early morning hours of February 20, 2004 on Route 495 in Norton, MA. It is every parent's nightmare to lose a child. Our hearts ache for Jarrod and Tim's parents, brothers, sisters, son and all their loved ones left behind. The deep wound felt and void left by their loss of life is an unbearable pain and an experience wished upon no one. We'll miss Jarrod terribly and he'll never be forgotten. Jarrod had a sense of knowing just what to do for people. Before a person even knew anything was needed, Jarrod would take care of it without any fanfare. He didn't look for anything in return. His reward was the satisfaction he received from helping and aiding people in need. Jarrod was a special person with a heart of gold. This helps me to understand why God needed him more.

There are numerous people to thank for their swift action in setting up the fund sites for donations, the planning and organization for both the funeral processions and truck benefit run. Industry involvement from the S.T.A., the efforts of everyone at A1-Affordable and other tow truck companies, owners that included use of their crew and equipment, drivers who offered rides to family members, the Massachusetts state and local police, and the attendance of the U.S. Flag Truck; the pride of the fleet. Wow! The support, compassion, professionalism and respect shown to our families during these last few weeks is the ultimate example of solidarity, kindness and unselfishness ever demonstrated and witnessed by countless men, women and children.

I also want to acknowledge the coordinated efforts of many people who voluntarily dedicated their own finances and personal time. Those unassuming, caring individuals quietly tending to the behind-the-scene activities, tasked with the many details necessary in order to make an unforgettable, successful event and an everlasting tribute.

It was an amazing sight to see the day of the truck run. Jarrod and Tim would have been absolutely astonished by sea of trucks at the rally. The track parking lot accommodated over 400 pieces of equipment as tower attendance was from all over New England. Big, shiny equipment lined up in perfect formation. Each engine was started and lights lit as the trucks solemnly left the parking lot. We passed people lined up everywhere along the route, along sides of the road, highway ramps and overpasses, horns beeping, waving, expressing their condolences and probably feeling every bit a part of the tribute as well.

I know the meaning and value of family. I am one of thirteen children (same parents, six brothers and six sisters). I'm also a Teamster and know what brotherhood is about as well. The towing industry has signified to me that it also understands the value of family; caring, sticking together, supporting, loving and helping each other, and the very essence of brotherhood. An important message has been conveyed and you can be proud of this recognition by who you are and what you've achieved. You have enlightened our lives and that of the nation with a powerful display of unity and strength as members of the entire towing community.

I have logged many miles as a tractor-trailer driver. I'm well aware of the dangers on our New England roads and highways. It's unfortunate that it takes a tragedy to change, create and/or enforce the laws desperately required to protect us all. May God bless and keep you safe.

We pray for all the families involved and affected by this shocking and devastating catastrophe. We ask God for His help, guidance and justice in the days, weeks, months and years that lie ahead.

Again, our heartfelt thanks to everyone for a phenomenal tribute to Jarrod and Tim.

Sincerely,

John R. Drew
North Easton, MA

Obituary Information

February 20, 2004, Jarrod J. Drew, 24 years. Son of Joseph R. and Cathryn M. (Verdone) Drew. Father of Jarrod J. Drew, Jr. Companion of Heather M. Geary.Brother of Shawn M. Verdone, Jennifer L. Drew, Ryan P. Drew, Shannon M. Drew and Christopher R. Belcher.

Jarrod J. Drew died Friday morning February 20, 2004, following an accident on Route 495. Born in Stoughton, son of Joseph R. and Cathryn M. (Verdone) Drew. He was raised in Brockton and attended Brockton schools. At the time of his death he was employed byA-1 Affordable Towing Company in West Bridgewater. Previously he had held jobs in various automotive companies. He enjoyed attending auto shows, working on and repairing automobiles, collecting model cars and colleting Lowrider magazines.

He is survived by his parents, Joseph R. Drew of Halifax and Cathryn M. (Verdone) Drew of Brockton, a son Jarrod J. Drew, Jr., his companion Heather Geary both of Middleboro, his brothers and sisters, Shawn M. Verdone, Jennifer L. Drew, Ryan P. Drew, and Christopher R. Belcher all of Brockton and Shannon M. Drew of Malden and his grandparents Robert Drew of Halifax and Jacquelyn Leslie of Brockton

Added in August 19, 2015:

My brother Jarrod would've been 36 today.

It's been almost 12 years and still not a day goes by that I don't think about you. God bless.

John R. Drew
North Easton, MA

JarrodDrew2015.jpg

Jarrod J. Drew Added to the Wall of the Fallen on __________

JarrodDrewWall.jpg

February 20, 2019:

Today marks 15 years since we lost my brother Jarrod to a drunk driver. I thought it'd be nice to ask family and friends that knew him to respond with your favorite memory of Jarrod, so we can all remember him on this day. I'll start....

In the early 90s, my father would bring my brother and I to go camping in New Hampshire for the weekend. One particular weekend, it was dreary and rainy, and my fathers girlfriend suggested he bring us to Funspot. My father took us out, and we got Chinese food, then went to Funspot and had a blast playing video games. The rain stopped by the time we were driving back to camp, so we took a small hike up the Rattlesnakes and looked out over Little Squam Lake. He then took us over to Rumney to a swimming hole. It was the first swimming hole me and Jarrod ever visited. By this time, the sun was shining and it was muggy. So Dad said we could go swimming in our jeans, and we spent an hour or so, jumping off rocks, sliding down the rock and just enjoying the hot summer day.

I know that day meant just as much to my brother as it did to me, because we had talked about it several times over the years. "Do you remember that swimming hole dad brought us to with the rock slide?" And once we were old enough to drive, we would go off and try to find those same types of swimming holes.

swimminghole.jpg

I visit that swimming hole every summer. And each time I go, as I walk up to the hidden entrance, and peer through the trees to see the fresh clear emerald water, I think of my brother Jarrod and my father, and how great that day was.

John R. Drew
North Easton, MA

I miss Jarrod so much. I was driving a tow truck and repossession car's and Jarrod wanted to drive a tow truck and i told him it was dangerous job but he wanted to do it. So, i gave him a ride, showed him how to drive it and how to tow car's. It hurt me so bad when we lost him. I felt like it was my fault. But that is what he wanted to do. The kid that hit him was drunk. So, don't drink and drive.

Love and Miss You Jarrod. Xoxoxoxo.

James Drew

07/27/2005
Man sentenced in truck fatals

By: CHARLES WINOKOOR, Staff Writer

TAUNTON - Daniel M. Cummings - the Raynham man who last year struck and killed two tow truck drivers on Interstate 495 in Norton while he was driving under the influence of alcohol - was sentenced yesterday in New Bedford Superior Court to a minimum of four to five years in prison.

Cummings, who was 21 the morning he drove his Chevy Cavalier into Jarrod Drew, 24, and Timothy Kelly, 23, had earlier decided to plead guilty to the two charges of vehicular homicide.

Superior Court Justice Gary Nickerson sentenced him to serve no less than four to five years in prison, with an additional year to be served concurrently in the Bristol House of Correction.

The balance of the two-and-a-half-year sentence on the second charge of vehicular homicide was suspended in favor of eight years probation.
But for many relatives and friends of the two victims - both of whom worked for A-1 Affordable Automotive and Towing of West Bridgewater - the sentence was too lenient.

Nearly a dozen of them, some with family photos in hand, addressed the judge.

"In 1980 I had a miracle," said Hazel Kelly, referring to the year her son Daniel was born. "He put his head on my chest. I could smell his innocence."

"Twenty-three years later," she said, "I had my head on his chest and he was cold. Daniel Cummings took away my miracle."
She urged Judge Nickerson to impose the maximum allowed seven to 10 years - if nothing else but to set an example to other potential drunk drivers.

"I know Daniel Cummings didn't intend to kill my son, but he made a terrible, horrible judgment [when he drove drunk]. You need to set precedence."

Heather Geary, 22, the mother of Jarrod Drew's now 21-month-old son Jarrod Jr., said she still cries herself to sleep nearly every night.
She said her son will sometimes ask if he can visit his father "by taking an airplane or climbing a ladder."
Judge Nickerson told the families and friends, many of whom were in tears, that there "is no more difficult case for me decide than a motor vehicle homicide."

He said although he shared their feelings "fundamental to humanity," that have "come to us from the Old Testament, the Talmud," he could not rule on the basis of "an-eye-for-an-eye" retribution.

"I don't expect you to agree with me," Nickerson said. "But I have tried to harness your sentiments into a constructive sentence."
Shortly before Cummings had told the victim's' family members and friends that he was "so completely sorry for your loss."
"I don't know what else I can do," Cummings said. "It will haunt me the rest of my life."

In addition to his prison sentence, Cummings is also prohibited from applying for a driver's license in any jurisdiction in the state for 10 years after his prison sentence; will be subject to random drug and alcohol tests; must perform 10 hours of community service per month of incarceration; receive full-time job training; and have no contact with either victim's family.

Outside the courthouse, after the verdict had been handed up, Cathryn Drew, Jarrod Drew's mother, said that Cummings - and anyone else convicted on drunk driving vehicular homicide charges - should never be allowed to legally drive after the fact.

"People see billboards that warn you not to drink and drive, but it's not enough," Drew said.